Search

Tokyo with children - recs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo with children - recs?

Hi folks

We're doing 6 days in Tokyo in December as a transfer before flying on to Sri Lanka for Christmas, with 10&7yr olds. We live in LA and I've read that Tokyo is similar in terms of no real centre so wondered if anyone had recommendations on areas to stay in. We'll all be super jetlagged so up all hours of the night, so first on my list is the fish market seeing as we'll probably be wide awake for it! I've read transport there at 4am is difficult so should we prioritise staying near enough that we can walk?

I'd love to do a day trip out but with all the travelling we'll already be doing it would have to be a very local one, any recs at all? We're at the very beginning stages of planning so any initial thoughts as I start my own research, particularly places to stay would be amazing.

Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

just to add, if anyone thinks we SHOULD take a trip out to somewhere else for a night or two then please feel free to let me know! We really want to do a "proper" Japan trip at some point so approaching this as our opportunity to mainly see Tokyo than try to cram in, say Kyoto, as well but am very open to opinions.

Also we'd love to do a cooking class (ramen or sushi), I've found the children love that aspect of being in another country and it's a nice family activity....anything else similar to that also appreciated
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 12:18 AM
mjs

Tokyo is a bit like LA in that there is not a centre like many cities but thats about as far as that goes. Transportation without a car is a million times better and there is no 405. What is your budget for lodging? Will need two rooms for most hotels. Possible day trips include Hakone, Nikko and Kamakura. If your children are into Ghibli try to make reservations for the studio.