tokyo -where to stay and are we fitting to much in

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have posted a few times and getting closer to having the plan down largely thanks to this group! I am having a very hard time getting my plans for Tokyo. We are arriving Oct 4th at Narita at 2:30 and leaving Oct 8th for the Alps (3 nights) and then Kyoto (4 nights) maybe Osaka (1 night), Koya San (1 night), Hiroshima/Miyajima (2 nights) and back to Tokyo Oct 19th-21st because we are attending the Moto GP race Oct 20th in Motegi.

So Tokyo-we had planned to stay in Asakusa at the Premier Richmond Hotel (well reviewed and lots of good comments on a previous post here). I liked the idea of seeing Senso-ji in the morning and at night without lots of tourists, and also being near the Skytree. Now I am second guessing if a hotel in Ginza or Shinjuku wouldn't be better because of the transportation connections and because we are staying 4 or 5 nights in Kyoto and will get the more "traditional" vibe there.
Here is VERY roughly what we want to do. I would appreciate advice on -where to stay that makes sense? Are we trying to cram too much in?
Oct 4th-Arrive 2:30 pm
If we are staying in Asakusa-check in, wander a bit, Senso-Ji at night-dinner-maybe sky tree if not too tired
Senso-ji
Oct 5th (Sat)–Sushi making workshop in Tsukiji Market (90 minutes not sure exact time -I think 10:00 am -includes lunch )
walk through Ginza -bit of shopping
Fire Ceremony –Fukagawa-Fudo-do ( 3:00 pm or 5 pm)
Nezu jinja (we want to fit this in but it's quite far out.....maybe in the morning if we are up early one day-might be too much for today
Dinner in Asakusa area or maybe Roppongi (want to eat at Kill Bill Restaurant) or Sky Tree if we didn't make it night before
Oct 6th-Tokyo (Sunday)
Tokyo Government Building, Shopping , Department store looking
Browse Harajuku
3:30 (backstreetguides night tour-starts in Harajuku)

Oct 7th –maybe day trip to Mount weather dependent OR if we still want more city explore what we feel we want more of...

Appreciate the thoughts -sorry for long post
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 08:19 PM

We’ve stayed at the Richmond Premier and really enjoyed it. The area is great for walking with lots of eating options and plenty of shopping
As for transport you have to pay attention to what stations are best for your destination.
There is an Asakusa Station/Tsukuba Express less than five minutes from the hotel that takes you to Akihabara in one stop. This is major hub with multiple subway lines as well as the Yamanote line.
A little further walk is Tawaramachi station on the Ginza line, a good central line stopping at some major destinations.
Then there is the main Asakusa station a little further, this is a large transport hub.
I used google maps with a hotspot and it was quite accurate as to the time, platform and route to the desired destination.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 09:15 PM

I remember your previous posts. I've got this picture of Tokyo in my mind with Shinjuku on the left and Asakusa on the right with Ginza and Roppongi somewhere in the middle. I don't see any location advantage that Shinjuku would have over Asakusa. Shinjuku would have an advantage if the the Mount you referred to is Mt Fuji (because of the Odakyu train to Hakone-Yumoto, mainly, but also it is closer to Fujigoko). But it is only 29 minutes from Asakusa to Shinjuku. It is a good idea to stay near one of the places you want to visit, but really any lodging that is a short walk to a subway station is going to work.

Besides the location you are also interested in city vibe to contrast with the traditional vibe in Kyoto. I take that to mean that waking up with Sensoji as your neighbor is good but you are - somehow - going to have that in Kyoto.

Last time I was in Tokyo I did enjoy visiting Kabukicho and Shinjuku and then having a quick 700 JPY taxi ride to the Hyatt Regency in Nishi-Shinjuku.

(Netflix). At the start you are in Shinjuku and go under a bridge. Then you see Kabukicho on the left and Shinjuku on the right (I think). This area certainly has a city vibe.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 05:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Visit the department stores, especially the Food halls in the basement levels, after your sushi making class as you will be very close to many of them.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks for this. I think I am just starting to second guess myself! Do you remember any of the things you did that you really enjoyed?
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 11:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Dining in Japan is at the top of my list! Yakitori, Tempura, Teppan; I love how a restaurant specializes in one style of preparation there.
Consider a food tour with Yukari Sakamoto who wrote FOOD SAKE TOKYO.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 11:21 AM.