Notices

Tokyo/Kyoto in Feb./March

Old Aug 25th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo/Kyoto in Feb./March

We are going to Tokyo for the first time in late February. We arrive the Monday before the Tokyo Marathon on 3/1 and we were thinking about spending the following week or so (8 nights) in Kyoto or on side trips. We can fly home out of Tokyo or Osaka. Is Osaka the better option or should we return to Tokyo for a day or two?
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:32 AM

I find it is a more efficient use of my time to stay in a city once rather than twice. So if it was me - and it isn't - I'd fly home from Osaka after my time in Kyoto rather than returning to Tokyo.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:59 AM
kja

I agree with Kathie.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 03:31 PM
tt7

Question has already been answered ... but here's one more vote for flying home from Osaka. In this context, "Osaka" means Kansai International (KIX) not Itami International (ITM). KIX is southwest of Osaka and is the primary international gateway to Osaka and Kyoto. ITM, which is north of Osaka and although labeled as "international", is primarily a domestic airport, so when looking at flights, make sure you're looking at the correct airport. When it's time to go home, the easiest way from Kyoto to KIX is the Limited Express Haruka train. If you're not already familiar with it, the website at Hyperdia is the go-to site for figuring out all things train-related in Japan.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:49 PM

A reminder that you should set up the itinerary for your flights using a multi-destination search function rather than purchasing one-way tickets. You can visit in reverse order, too,

into Osaka and home from Tokyo, if the flights are more convenient.