Tokyo + Kyoto (10 days / 9 nights)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some homework by going to through old threads regarding the 2 cities. From what I've gathered I have come to realize that I might be in for more then I bargained for.

Background: My girlfriend and I are planning on visiting Japan for 10 days (late May / early June) - first Far East trip. We've gone through several Euro. cities in the past and always managed to see the 'necessities' without any tour guides. We've also learned a valuable lesson about minimizing the stress in obtaining the ultimate experience. We've done this by staying at the hotels located in the most central part of the cities we've visited. We like to be where the action is. Moreover, we look to find the nicest reasonably priced quality hotels given the higher cost that comes with location. We don't want to learn the history of the places we visit, but rather experience it first hand. I feel learning is best suited for the classroom. It's easier to retain the information gathered from books especially when one is forced to regurgate it on an exam.

Objective: We want to split our Japan trip between Tokyo and Kyoto. We are flying into Narita from the US. With that said, I would presume that we would want to end our trip in Tokyo where were could do our shopping and still make our flight out of Narita. I much prefer Tokyo because I'm a gadget freak. My girlfriend would more likely appreciate the countryside. We possibly would want to squeeze Nara for a day trip while in Kyoto.

Discussion:
1. Are we likely to be flying into a rainy season with these dates?

2. We technically would have to split the trip with 4 1/4 days + 4 nights in one place and 5 days + 5 nights the other. Which should take precedence; Kyoto or Tokyo?

3. If we decide to go Kyoto first how do we get there from Narita (flying in late afternoon)? In addition, how much time + money would it run us?

4. Which centrally (preferrably) located hotels would anyone suggest for the two cities? Keep in mind that we are looking for nice accomodations at reasonable/discounted prices ($150-$220 - per night). So far we have placed these spots on the bubble: Tokyo - Intercontinental Tokyo Bay, The Mansion at Popongi (not central). Kyoto - Hotel Kyoto Okura, Westin Miyako Hotel, Granvia Kyoto. From the pictures we've seen on websites Japanese hotels appear to be much nicer then some of the highly priced hotels we've stayed in Europe (with the exception of the Krasnopolsky in Amsterdam - well worth the money). Any comparable suggestions appreciated.

5. What are these JR passes good for if they can't be used in subways? Are there no subway passes?

6. What is the luggage transportation service? Could we have our luggage shipped to meet us at our Kyoto hotel from Narita airport to eliminate stress? Could it possibly get there before us for the time that it would probably take us to travel from Narita to Kyto by train/bus/car?

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Every bit of advice would be a whole lot of help to us. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:35 PM

Bonjour BigFeat,

I've been and I'll be there at the same period, and the weather is just fine at this time of year.

Make hotel reservation early enough since it is a rather busy season.

2) Favor Kyoto: easier to navigate, lots to see of both old and new, you can go to Osaka (less than 1 hour) for gadgets, daytrips galore (Ohara/Sagano and other countryside areas, Nara, Himeji, the Inland sea, ...).

3) you need approx. 1 hour to get out of immigration/customs, 1 hour to Tokyo, 3 hours to Kyoto. Depending on how late you fly in, you'd be better off spending first night in Tokyo, close to Tokyo or Shinagawa station, and take an early Shinkansen to Kyoto.

4) I never go into hotels (favor inexpensive/moderate ryokans), but IMO best locations in Tokyo include Asakusa/Ueno/Kanda for easy accessibility to all areas, airport, and all there is to see/do. In Kyoto, being close to the station means easy transportation everywhere but you're at least 45 min on foot from the main centers (Shijo, Gion, ...). Think of renting a bicycle, one of the best and cheapest way to visit Kyoto.

5) JR passes will save you $ and hassle on long distance transportation. 7 days pass is cheaper than the Tokyo-Kyoto and back fare, for example. JR pass covers two of the most useful intra-city lines in Tokyo, the Yamanote (circle) and Chuo (from Shinjuku to Tokyo). There are daypasses in both cities on all public transportation. Look at www.jnto.go.jp ("getting around&quot for an overview. If you spend the first night in Tokyo, I'd advise to activate your JR pass from the next morning only, thus leaving a full 7 days to use it.

6) only if you spend the first night in Tokyo, and even then I'm not sure it would be there before you.

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Would it be absurd if I just booked a hotel in Tokyo for 9 nights, check-in and go straight to Kyoto for a few days without having to sleep there at all? Meaning go back and forth on a daily basis. I'm really avoiding having to pay for 3 hotels in this short trip. I think I would be flying in before 5pm. I really wouldn't want to waste a day traveling from the Airport to hotel when we would have already lost a day on the airplane. If time wouldn't permit us to get from Narita to Kyoto in time to see anything for that day then I might as well room in Tokyo the entire trip.

If worst comes to worst I can also get a hotel in Kyoto for a few days while continuing to pay for my Tokyo room. Again, I'm trying to avoid the stress that I see most tourist go through when pressured to see everything in so little time.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

I just double checked my schedule... With your time breakdown I would be in Kyoto at around 7pm. So from Kyoto to hotel it would probably be about 8-9pm worst case. I guess we would have enough time to get out for dinner at least. I'm not sure what a night out in Kyoto would be like being that we're city dwellers that are used to 3am chinese/mexican takeouts. THank you so much for this information. I am already in the process of making bookings now. I just need to know that I'm making the smart decisions.

The bike idea of riding a bike through unfamiliar territory frightens me. I haven't hopped on a bike for years and I have the fear of being a hit-and-run victim. I don't trust anyone on the road. My G-friend on the otherhand is Dutch so I'm sure she'd feel at home.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:43 AM

> "I just double checked my schedule... With your time breakdown I would be in Kyoto at around 7pm. "

Then go for it.

>"I'm not sure what a night out in Kyoto would be like being that we're city dwellers that are used to 3am chinese/mexican takeouts."

Then you'll have to adjust to 3am "combini" (convenience stores, open 24/24, like 7/11, Lawson, etc.) take out ;-) For other ideas about Kyoto nightlife, have a look at http://www.kyotoguide.com/index/index.html It gets updated on a monthly basis but you can have a general outline for May based on last year's event.

>"The bike idea of riding a bike through unfamiliar territory frightens me. I haven't hopped on a bike for years and I have the fear of being a hit-and-run victim. I don't trust anyone on the road. My G-friend on the otherhand is Dutch so I'm sure she'd feel at home."

Don't worry, bicycles ride on the sidewalks in Japan, and Kyoto is particularly bike-friendly.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

This might sound crazy. Now I'm really considering rooming at either the Mansions @ Poppongi or Mansions @ Azabu Towers. I can't figure out which one is in a better location. Beign that I can get a 1 bedroom apt I figure I can stock up on food and take daily excursions to Kyoto via train. This is all in the fear that If I book a hotel for Kyoto then shoot to Tokyo for the remainder of the trip I really won't know it's a mistake until the end of the trip. What if I realized that I should have booked more nights in Kyoto instead of Tokyo or vice versa. So if I stay in a Tokyo apt the for the full 9 nights is it plausible that I can take the train to Kyoto for daily excursions every other day for the 10 day duration?

For instance:
Day 1: Tokyo.
Day 2: Tokyo to Kyoto via train and back to sleep in Tokyo that night.
Day 3: Tokyo.
Day 4: Tokyo to Kyoto via train & back to sleep in Tokyo that night.
Day 5: Nara via Train & back to sleep in Tokyo that night.
Day 6: Tokyo.
Day 7: similar to day 2 & day 4.
Day ..... Day 10: Tokyo to Narita (fly)

I'm just wondering if a 7-day JR pass for 2 would allow us to do all those daily trips. In case we really fall in love with Kyoto for the first time we could probably just stay there overnight at some hotel and return the next day instead of that same night. All this while paying for an Apt. at one of the Mansion hotels. Does this make since to anyone??
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:52 PM

You are making this trip waaaaay too difficult! Here are my ideas:
Fly into Narita, take the train directly to kyoto. You should enjoy your stay there as there is lots to do ...the castle, temples galore, great arcades for shopping, and lots of opportunities for people watching and dining.

When done, take the train to Tokyo and enjoy more nghtlife and gadget shopping. If either city bores you during it's assigned period, take day trips elsewhere. Kyoto to Nara, Osaka, or Himeji...Tokyo to Nikko, Kamakura, or Hakone.

Hotels in Japan are very expensive, making double booking nuts. Travelling back and forth would also be crazy... after the first trip, spending 6 hours on the same train will be cruel and unusual punishment.

If you travel light, getting from Narita to Kyoto will be no problem. If you buy a lot in Kyoto, you can have your luggage sent to your hotel in Tokyo. Your hotel can easily arrange this for you.

In Kyoto, pick a hotel near the Gion district or beween Oike -dori and Shijo-dori streets as close to kawaramachi-dori (and the canal) as you can. this area has many interesting shops and department stores, bars, restaraunts, theatres, temples,and pacinko parlors within walking distance, and remains lively till late at night. You can walk to the Gion area or catch a bus to anywhere in town from the intersection of shijo-dori and kawaramachi-dori. The all day bus passes are sold in the underground arcade/rail station below Takashimaya Department store. To get here from the train station you can take a short cab or the private subway on the north side of the main Kyoto rail station. If we are not staying in a ryokan, we stay at the Kyoto Central Inn. It is right above the subway and across the street from Takashimaya. The lobby and hallways are drab, but if you get a japanese room, it will be clean and quiet with a private bath with furo. A year ago it was $135 for 2 of us (japanese style rooms rent by the person). We do not like to stay by the main station...it is more of a business area and is not as lively at night.

In Tokyo, you have been given some good sugesstions. We usually choose Ryokan Shigetsu, but you might want something in a more lively area with no curfews (Shinjuko or kanda areas are nice). I recommend you get a place near a subway or JR rail station. The JR rail in town works like the subway, but you can use your railpasses. MOst of the time you can manage to get places on JR lines and save your subway money. If you have no JR pass, you can get daily subway passes.

I highly recommend the guide book "Gateway to Japan" by Kinoshita. It has everything you need...maps, hotel recs, train, shopping and dining advice and it almost always accurate in its descriptions. You will thank me once you see it!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:40 AM

BigFeat - listen to lcuy!

Your thought of multiple trips to Kyoto is not a good idea.

She has very good advice also about the day trip options from either Kyoto or Tokyo. Also about what area to stay in as well as buying the all day bus pass in Kyoto.

Also, we loved Ryokan Shigetsu in Asakusa/Tokyo...but we are a family and didn't want any sleezy nightlife.

About the only variation I would suggest is to not try to make it to Kyoto from Narita your first night in. I would instead do something like spending the first two nights in Tokyo, then going to Kyoto for 5 nights and spending the last 3 nights in Tokyo, perhaps staying in a different part of town this time.

As to learning...well, I personally found reading up a little on the history of Japan to be of great value. Pick a novel set in Japan, such as Gaijin by James Clavel, and visit the Edo Museum in Tokyo. See a Kabuki play at the Kabukiza Theatre in Tokyo (rent the head sets)....

Then, when you visit the Shogun's palace, Nijo-jo in Kyoto, it will have much more meaning.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
4MJ

I agree with Lcuy and LeslieC. Traveling back and forth from Tokyo to Kyoto is a bad idea.

Are you only interested in staying in Western stlye hotels? You should try at least one night in a Ryokan. They're very traditional and a great experience. I've lived in Japan for over 3 years and am planning a trip back to visit friends at the end of March. I'm planning on staying at a ryokan in Narita the night before my return flight. I'll email you again and let you know what it is like.

May I recommend going to Himeji Castle as a day trip from Kyoto. It's well worth the day!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM

DUDE i am doing homework to!!! I am going to Kobe, Tokyo and Kyoto! I "have to stay there for 14 nights" we arent actually going there. You just reasearch about japan then plan a vacation there! IT IS SO MUCH FUN!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM

BigFeat, about your idea of travelling to Kyoto and back, yes it can be done and yes it would be absurd and crazy (as you put it).

If you stay in Tokyo the first night or two, then just leave some of your stuff at your Tokyo hotel and take the rest to Kyoto.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Upon further research and advice from the wonderful board members on Fodors here's my game plan at this point:

-Book a room at the Roppongi Mansions for the entire 9 nights. Stay in Tokyo for night 1.

-Travel to Kyoto on day 2 and book a hotel (Hotel Okura) for 2 nights.

-Travel to Nara on last day @ Kyoto.

-Back to Tokyo and visit Kamakura and maybe Nikko.

So most of the days will be spent in Tokyo. I thought of booking a 1-bedroom apt would allow me to relax a bit more. For instance, if it really starts to pour for any of these days I can just kick back and watch DVDs all day. I really don't think a small hotel room atmosphere would allow me that.

I really have reserves about staying at a Ryokan for this trip. I think the restrictions and etiquettes that I would be subjected to will be a stretch for me during this trip. On the other hand, I think I have the decipline to follow simple Ryokan etiquette as I've studied Aikido for 9 nears thus have some awareness of the Japanese culture. However, this trip hopefully will be the start of many trips we will take to Japan. We can enjoy Japan at a slower pace in the near future.

With all that said I will end up paying for 9 nights at the Mansions and while also paying for 2 nights at the Okura. I feel like I'm short changing myself by both paying for 2 hotels on only staying 3 days in Kyoto. Could Tokyo be really that less interesting that it deserves fewer days? What demographic could one say Tokyo and Kyoto is targetting? I have the feeling I'd be traveling from the ying to the yang here.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:55 PM

For the record, I meant to say that travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto for a day of sightseeing and then returning to Tokyo the same night would be crazy. Doing it a second time would be absurd.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM

And paying for a couple of nights in a Tokyo hotel and not using them is a shameful waste.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

-Mrwunrfl

I totally agree. I have 3 months to think about this so I'm sure I'll make the right choice once it's said and done.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Good, I'm glad you were not offended. I take it that you are really concerned about taking your luggage on the train? The idea of booking 9 nights in Tokyo was simply to avoid hauling your luggage to Kyoto and back?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

- Mrwunrfl

That was exactly my reason. We would be coming from a 13hr flight. There's an additional 3hrs from our arrival to Narita then to the hotel. Then having to travel to Kyoto the next morning for another 3hrs was overwhelming. That would have taken about 2 days (business hours) from our travel (traveling to Japan + Traveling within Japan). Plus the idea of staying in an apartment setting was comforting in knowing we could wake-up and cook our own breakfast.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:02 AM

You can just stay in Tokyo for the first 3 days (maybe first night at an airport hotel). Then go to Kyoto after you are over the jet lag. Back to Tokyo for the night before your flight home.

You have lots of options. Try contacting the JNTO (www.jnto.go.jp) and ask them for info about shipping your luggage.

Another option would be to get with a tour group. They can meet you at the airport and deal with your bags and shepherd you to Kyoto and back.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

By the way.. What's the cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto? I just spoke to a gentleman that will be in Japan for 3-4 days next month and he considered going to Kyoto. I told him about 9000 yen on the bullet train, but I wasn't sure if that was a one-way or round trip fare. Moreover, he thought that there must be a way to get a reduced price on that ticket being that it's only for one day. JR's site really doesn't clarify what their single passage rates cost vs passes.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Japanese trains are fast, efficient and comfortable, and expensive. The 9000 yen price from Tokyo to Kyoto is one way, and seems like just the basic fare. There is the shinkansen supplement that will be about 5000 yen more. The Nozomi shinkanzen is the fastest and most expensive at a bit over 14,000 yen one way. They don't offer a discount if you return the same day. Generally, they don't offer a discount for shinkansen at all. If you plan on doing a lot of travel by JR lines, then before departing your home country you could buy a JR pass that would save you some money. In any case, seat reservations only cost 500 yen and are well worth it as non-reserved seats are often completely filled and you end up standing the whole way.

Other ways to get a slight discount once you are in Japan is to buy your tickets at a ticket discount shop. Service there is generally only in Japanese, and saving might amount to 1000 yen,,.not much.

Once in Japan, you can book packages of hotels and train tickets together from many travel agencies. Savings on these range from almost nothing to actually getting the hotel for free. There are loads of flyers in agency doorways and in the station for this sort of package.

Riding only local trains is considerably cheaper...and considerably slower. For 9000 yen, you can get the local train to Kyoto...it'll take you between 8 and 9 hours. The faster the train, the fewer the stops, the higher the price. There is also bus service between the big cities. JR bus from Shinjuku to Kyoto is around 8000 yen and leaves late night arriving early morning in Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -