Search

Tokyo in May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:51 PM
milton

Tokyo in May

My wife and I will be traveling to Tokyo in May after Golden Week but before World Cup with our two college-age kids. Using Tokyo as sort of a home base, does anyone have any suggestions as to places to visit? We will purchase a 7 day railpass for the 10 days we'll be in Japan. We've been to Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and would like to explore the areas surrouneding Tokyo. Kamakura, Hakone/Mt Fuji, Yokohama, Nikko are places that first come to mind. We been in Tokyo several times but have always hung out in the Ikebukuro area where we have friends. Would like to balance sightseeing with shopping knowing that the kids have seen Osaka Castle and several temples already. Have visited the JNTO site and plan to hit the TIC office at Narita and in Tokyo. Florence, if you're out there, would also appreciate your insight. In advance, 4 big mahalos for your wisdom.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:38 AM
Florence

Bonjour Milton, <BR><BR>It looks like I don't have much wisdom left to impart to you ;-)<BR><BR>For things to do in Tokyo, get the book "Tokyo for Free", by Susan Pompian.<BR><BR>You might consider going further North than Nikko, to Miyagi prefecture (Sendai, Matsushima), or Sado Island. Sendai is a rather pleasant city, good for shopping (trad. craft like Kokeshi dolls, lackers small furniture, tamba ironware) and strolling. Not very remarkable since it has been razed during the war and lacks original old building, but less hectic than Tokyo or Osaka. It commands access to Matsushima and the coast. <BR><BR>Iwate prefecture is nice too, although your children might find it rather boring if they already had their fill of temples and castles.<BR><BR>Then there is Toyama, home of Yasuko San, who generously shares his mother's recipes: http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~chrkaji/yasuko/index_e.html<BR><BR>So many places to visit, so little time ...

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Milton

I knew that you would have something for me Florence. I'll play it by ear once we get to Tokyo. Between the JNTO site and the TIC offices, I think we'll do okay. We will check with the Welcome Inn group for ryokans in Hakone/Mt. Fuji area. Any suggestions?This will be a good chance for my daughter to practice her Japanese. Arigato gozaimasu

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:36 AM
michael

If you do decide to go to Miyagi/Sendai you might want to visit Naruko Onsen, which is a short train ride away from Furukawa on the Tohoku Shinkansen line near the border with Iwateken. Naruko Gorge is really nice to stroll thru, and the Kokeshi Museum is nearby. Stay at Ryokan Bentenkaku, where the rotenburo can be reserved for private use. Bentenkaku is a member of the Japanese Inn Group and the proprietor speaks quite a bit of English.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:22 PM
milton

Thanks Michael.