Reload this Page >

Tokei Earthquake-Japan

Search

Tokei Earthquake-Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:47 AM
matt

Tokei Earthquake-Japan

I am in the process of applying for a teach English in Japan program in a small city named Namuzu in the Shizuoka prefecture. Being very excited about the chance to live in Japan, I did some research and read about a very scarry thing: the Tokei Earthquake. I know that Japan has very active earthquakes and most are benign but it seems that the general consensus in the geological world is that the Tokei earthquake will strike any day right in the heart of the Shizuoka prefecture. If it does strike, it will be very very bad. Since I may be going in March, this concerns me. Do many people know about this? Thanks

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Myszka

Congratulations on coming to Japan to teach English. Are you doing this through the JET Program? You will really cherish your memories of this for years to come. The people here are so friendly and welcoming. It will be a wonderful experience for you.<BR> Yes, Japan has earthquakes every day. I have felt some pretty good shakers here in Tokyo. We are told there is going to be the &quot;big&quot; one as San Francisco is and Vancouver is and Los Angeles is etc etc. It can happen and Japan more than any other place I know is very prepared for that emergency. I would hate to have you not experience this opportunity because you hear an earthquake can happen any time. Unfortunately, bad things can happen any time, it is how we handle them that counts. Myszka

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:26 PM
john

Yes, the &quot;big one&quot; is coming; in fact it's long overdue. And it's going to be bad, no doubt about it. I would stay home if I were you.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:41 AM
alice

Myszka: In the U.S., we here about big earthquakes that are going to swallow California. One day that may happen, but it is not something that has any legitimate source. What scares me about the Tokei earthquake is that you really can trace it every 150 years. I understand that Japan is better prepared for it now than ever, but the people in Kobe thought the same thing and look what happened.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Matt

Myszka, <BR><BR>Thanks for the reply. The program I am looking at is an independant school. I am, however, going to apply to the JET program as well. Do you know much about JET? Thanks

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Kris

Matt,<BR>We've lived in Yokohama for a year, and it's been so fantastic. Japan is completely different from the U.S. and is a wonderful, safe place to live. Yes, we get lots of small earthquakes and the chance of a &quot;big one&quot; looms. So does the possibility of another terrorist attack or other disaster (in ANY country). We can't predict any of these, and for me, I won't let fear stop me from living. Don't miss the chance to experience the Japanese culture - it's a totally different way of thinking. Imagine the insight you'll take with you to future teaching positions!!! BTW, lots of the teachers at my children's school came here for a couple of years...10 or more years ago! They love it, and so do I. Good luck!