To and from Airports

Search

To and from Airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To and from Airports

I haven't booked any transportation from/to the airports at any of our distinations. First place we arr is BBK on a Friday afternoon so I guess there will be no trouble getting a taxi? What is the approx cost for a taxi from the airport to Silom Road (Sofitel). Is there a taxi rank? Are the taxis on a meter, I hope so as we will be tied and will just want a nice easy smooth journey to the hotel.

Although we won't be getting any transport until we have changed up some money.......

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:19 AM

lots of atms just past the door to the taxis....no problem ever with taxi availability at bkk....long lines sometimes but they move quickly..

cost will be about 400 B or less...insist on the toll road which costs an extra 60B...

insist on the meter as soon as you pull away from the curb...they will try flat rate but don't accept it...just point to meter if he does not start it immediately...

after a long flight i prefer the AAC limo also right at the taxi door...about 700B to sofitel plus 60...more comfortable and probably a better driver...we had two taxis from airport this summer where the drivers were high on some substance...not too nice a ride...
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM

Suggest you change $50 or so to Thai Baht BEFORE you go so you won't have to deal with ATMs and can get going right to your hotel. Beleive me you'll be exhausted. Most departure airports have a change booth or you can buy foreign currancy at most large banks with a couple of day notice.

Also, driver will ask you if you want "Expressway" or "Highway" say "Yes" as it is much faster. There are a few toll booths on this road so he will probably ask you to pay the tolls which are 20 or 40 baht or so when you come to the toll booth.

I've had no problems with the taxis in the taxi lines. They're fine. Ignore all the touts who ask you if you want a taxi. Just go outside after you clear customs and you will see the line. The attendents at the booth will ask your destination and write in in Thai which they hand to the driver. It actually is a great system and much improved over the madhouse it was a few years ago.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:38 PM

I never get baht before I go to Thailand. The exchange rates you get outside of the country are just awful in my experience, and I can work an ATM in my sleep... There are also exchange windows open 24 hours if you don't want to use the ATM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM

Quite honestly what are we talking about here with a "bad" exchange rate on $50 or so? A few dollars at most - if that? C'mon.

It's worth the convenience of getting your bags and going right out to the taxis instead of waiting in line at an ATM or exchange booth. That's not the way I want to start a vacation when I'm exhausted from a long flight.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM

Ah, you may be right Kenstee. I just remember seeing an exchange rate at under 30 baht to the dollar, so while percentage-wise it's a lot, it wouldn't be all that much in dollar amounts. I guess going to the first ATM I see in a foreign airport is just part of the ritual for me.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM

ken---are you a foreign exchange banker selling your products on this forum....if so desist!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM

Baht is not available in the usa where i live, so i wait until i get there...atms are in english and easy to use....i use the bank of ayutthaya as there is no service charge---they are all yellow...
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM

rhkkmk, if baht is not available where you live perhaps you can avail yourself of my foreign exchange service! ;-)