Search

timing for melatonin on trip U.S. to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing for melatonin on trip U.S. to Japan

I am going to take melatonin on my upcoming trip to Japan. I have had good experiences in the past taking it on trips to Europe. It really helped ease the jet lag as opposed to the times I didn't take it. The problem I am having is figuring out when to take it on the upcoming trip to Japan. Timing is supposedly everything w/melatonin, but I am seeing different recommendations for when to take it on a trip from U.S. to Asia. Many (but not all) recommendations say to take it one hour before bedtime (on the Asian country's clock)on your first night there, and to take it for the first few nights at same time.
I have no intention of starting any debate on whether it works or not, that has been exhaustively discussed on the forums. I just would like to know your expereince w/the timing of when you have taken it on trips to Asia and the dosage. I took 3 mgs on the trips to Europe so I am thinking I'll do that dose again, but I am concerned about timing and not making the jet lag worse by taking it at the wrong time.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:24 PM
emd
Original Poster

Also, what is your experience w/timing of taking it in the return to the U.S.?
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I also use melatonin and have found it very helpful with jet leg. The instruction is to take it 30 minutes to an hour before you want to go to sleep in the new time zone. Some of the data indicates that it's only effective for a few days at a time, so taking it for the first three or four days in the new time zone makes sense. Also, you take it the same way when you return home, 30 minutes to an hour before you want to fall asleep at home.

By the way, part of the reason people debate whether it helps is that 30% of people are non-responders. If you are a responder, it should work the same for you in Asia as it did going to Europe.

When the research was initially done on melatonin, the researchers took the melatonin for one or more days before arriving in the country - that really messed up their sleep/wake cycles! Only take it once you are in your new time zone and ready to sleep.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM

We took melatonin on arrival in LA at 9am after 17 hours of nightmare flying! Went to Century City and bought 100 tabs then went straight to our hotel, went to bed around midday and woke up at 3am ready to party!!!!

Kathie knows best! I should have waited until nighttime to sleep but we were so jetlagged my partner ran into a truck and sideswiped his mirror. Luckily the truck did not pull over!

Warning-don't drive jetlagged!