Tiger Safari In India 2019

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Just starting the research for a tiger safari trip to India. I know that there are quite a few parks and I have been getting different feed back as to which one(s) are the best.
My ideal time to travel is November but if that is not suitable I would try to change to March/April/May. Any advice on guide/tour services and parks would be helpful. I would probably be
flying into Delhi and use a local guide service. I have done numerous safaris in Africa.Thanks
Old May 4th, 2018, 06:37 AM

An Indian safari is very different from an African safari. Here are my notes from a safari in Bandhavgarth:
Bruce and Marija, accompanied by 450 Indian school children, search for tigers in Bandhavgarh
Old May 4th, 2018, 09:55 PM

There are some very good national parks in India that will whet your appetite for wildlife viewing. The best time to arrive in the northern & central India parks is from late March onwards through April to May or early June. But remember it will be very hot and uncomfortable in later months, though if you are really seeking the elusive tiger this may be the time to come. The reason is the drying up of water bodies and rivulets that regenerate many of these parks. The heat is intense and the tiger is restless. In the Corbett & other central India Parks the visibility improves due to withering away of the grasslands and scrub jungle which the monsoons have fed the previous year.

Corbett is a connoisseurs delight. This is perhaps the only Indian Park which allows you to stay inside and this in itself is wonderful for you get to hear the jungle sounds, the alarm calls. There are times when the forest is alive with these calls and sometimes very quiet! The accommodation is very basic inside. The variety of game and birdlife in amazing. The tigers are very shy and you would perhaps get a fleeting glimpse of the animal before he vanishes into thick cover…very exciting!

The Ranthambhore NP is a great place to see this animal. The tree cover is largely acacia and some other species like semul, jamoa &c. The Zone 3 has some fine lakes which attract a lot of animals and the tiger is found in hot pursuit. Because of his contact with tourists every day of his life, he is not shy. Just a few days back a friend saw a big male tiger and a very stoutly built leopard in zone 10!

At both these parks afternoon safaris are very fruitful.

At Kanha the grasslands have dried out and the animals can be seen easily at a distance. I personally was thrilled to see the swamp deer & Indian Guar at Kanha some years ago. Bandhavgarh has the highest density of tigers. The Pench NP has produced stags with record horns.

The Tadoba NP some 6 hours drive from Kanha is quite well-known for assured sightings…how far this can be stretched your guess is as good as mine. I am yet to visit Tadoba.

All these parks have beautiful properties on the periphery.

There is a fair chance of seeing a tiger in Ranthambhore, Bandhavgarh & Kanha if you stay 3 to 4 nights at each location.

Happy Hunting!
Old May 5th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
Old May 5th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Marija, your trip report was quite informative. Thank you for posting.
Old May 7th, 2018, 08:36 PM

Leopard in Zone 10 of Ranthambhore NP

The picture was taken by Mr. Sanjay Inder Chahal of Patiala, on 21 April 2018 in Zone 10 of Ranthambhore NP. This was late evening when they were just about to exit the park. The leopards will normally stay outside the gauntlet of a tiger and are likely to be found on the periphery of their foes territory.
Old May 7th, 2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by vp_singh

The picture was taken by Mr. Sanjay Inder Chahal of Patiala, on 21 April 2018 in Zone 10 of Ranthambhore NP. This was late evening when they were just about to exit the park. The leopards will normally stay outside the gauntlet of a tiger and are likely to be found on the periphery of their foes territory.
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:53 AM

Thank you for your post there are many beautiful tiger safari park to visit
Bandhavgarh National Park, Pench National Park, Satpura National Park, Ranthambore National Park, Kanha National Park etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 01:23 AM

If you are visiting India in month November I would suggest you to visit Corbett National Park situated in Nianital district. It is so because tiger sighting during this period is maximum.

Last edited by siddharthariser; Jul 19th, 2018 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Grammar Error
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 09:30 PM

November is very fine weather. The animals are, so to speak, fresh from the break and therefore less disturbed.
But from the point of view of a tiger-wallah, not conducive to great sightings.
Corbett reopens after the break on 15 November. However, sometimes due to late monsoon withdrawal, the tracks within may not in good condition. The wooden bridge over the river Ramganga may have been washed away, and this is an yearly feature, which means that the areas towards Kanda will be inaccessible. Also the rains lead to an explosion of undergrowth, reducing visibility considerably. The lantana will be simply too dense to see anything, in spite of the forest department trying everything within their means to reduce this scourge. The grassland around Dhikala will also be too high.
It is better to visit The Corbett NP from February to first week of May.