Three days to go from Kyoto to Tokyo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three days after 5 in Kyoto, to return to Tokyo. I want to get off the usual tourist paths and see something new. I'd love to be in a smaller town, see the countryside, go to an onsen, stay in a ryokan. I'm female, over 60 but healthy, and will be traveling alone at this point. Any advice? This is for early February.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Would be a good idea to use the baggage delivery service to send your bag to Tokyo and then just carry what you need for the three days.

Takayama is a small city in the mountains. The only onsen bath is at the Green Hotel. There is Hirayu Onsen in the mountains above Takayama (access by bus), but not sure if it is worth the trip. Takayamna has a few sites and is very walkable. Just south of Takayama on the train line is Gero Onsen. You should be able to find a nice ryokan there with an onsen bath.

Another option would be Hakone. This is near Tokyo but is a national park and is were Mt Fuji is. Lots of nice ryokan there and onsen.

Another choice is Atami Onsen and the Izu peninsula, part of Fuji-Hakone-Izu N.P.

At the following webpage you will see links to guides for all of those places. There is more info on those destinatations elsewhere on the site.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/index.html

I'd like to recommend Shirakawago but it would involve a couple of hours on a train to Takaoka and another 2+ hours by bus to get there. There should be 6 feet of snow there at that time. If the bus to Takayama is running then a traveler could go on to there (or Gero) after a night in Shirakawago.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Hakone is a very easy stop between those two cities, and we really enjoyed it there. Nice ryokans, ropeway over the mountain, walk among the volcanic rocks, cross the lake on a boat, etc. It's not off the tourist path, but we did find that many of the tourists were Japanese themselves.

We also enjoyed the Kiso Valley, but it's a bit out of the way. Nice hiking and scenery and very small towns. This was pretty out-of-the-way as far as lack of tourists, which was nice.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
kja

Hi, lexymartin -

Although it would mean going in the wrong direction, you might consider a night or two in Miyajima and a night on Mount Koya. I loved both!

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 03:29 AM

I`d go with Hakone as it`s a beautiful place, albeit a little spread out. Check exactly where everything is on a map before you reserve a room.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

Atami is another place nearby. I like it more for its history as a honeymoon location in the 60`s. It`s great for onsen too!

http://wikitravel.org/en/Atami

Sending your baggage ahead is a great idea as well as it`s cheap and reliable.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Tonx --
For the first time, I am able to visit Japan beyond Tokyo. What is the best way to arrange for baggage shipment as we will use the trains?
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM

We stayed at Ryokan Kinokuniya in Hakone http://www.hakone-kinokuniya.co.jp/Default-e.htm. (est.1715)

The have natural sulfur springs on property. Very helpful and the food was excellent. The thing I liked the best is you can reserve a private bath to relax by yourself and it's reasonably priced for a ryokan.

Hakone is a lovely area and transportation is easy.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM

MadameX, baggage service is easily arranged by your hotel. Just ask at the front desk.

Should your hotel not offer this service, you can also arrange for "takkyubin" at the local konbeni or convenience store - Lawsons, 7-11 etc. Your hotel should be able to direct you to a store which offers this service or look for the Black Cat symbol in the window.