Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Land Narita @ 6:30a - Leave Narita at 4:00p...spend 5 hours in Tokyo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 04:08 PM
lynn

Greetings - <BR> <BR>We have a layover in Tokyo and are interested in going into the city. Can anyone tell me the basics of doing this? <BR> <BR>How long to get to town, how much, what can we see in this amount of time, etc. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions would be very helpful. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 08:14 AM
sanshokubento

You can either take a train or bus to <BR>downtown Tokyo, I have never taken the train, so I'm not sure how long it takes. I believe it is significantly less expensive, but may be unbelieveably crowded during the morning rush hour as you get closer to Tokyo. <BR> <BR>You can take the limousine bus to any of the major hotels in the Tokyo area for around $30 each way. It may take 90 minutes or so. For such a short period of time I would suggest going to the Harajuku/Omotesando area, on the west side of Tokyo, where you can see the Meiji Jingu shrine and many shops and restaurants. The younger crowd seems to hang out there, so you can get a glimpse of the latest fashion scene as well. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 12:20 AM
Ann

You can also take the Narita Express- it takes about two and a half hours to get to Tokyo station and costs about 3000 yen. However when you switch to the subway during rush hour, it will be crowded. The train is more reliable than the bus as it is not subject to traffic conditions- on a good day the bus should take 90mins but I have been stuck on it for 3hours before... <BR>The Harajuku/Omotesando area is interesting. Shinjuku is another nice shopping area, very different in feel- full of designer skyscrapers...But the thing I really wouldn't miss is sushi and sashimi- I have not found the same quality outside Japan. Given the limited time you have, I'd probably choose one district to wander around and have lunch at.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 09:48 AM
dan woodlief

Another option if you don't want to spend all that time traveling is to go into the town of Narita (just a few minutes from the airport by cab or train). The temple there is highly visited and worth a look, and you can walk around the town.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 12:37 PM
jeff

I'd opt for Shinjuku, if possible. Having used very means available to make the trip you speak of, on many occasions, I'd say it may not be worth it! <BR> <BR>To wit: <BR>The Green Line Express is about $55 US for a one way ticket and the fastest to Tokyo Station or to Shinjuku (about 45 min to Tokyo an another 25-30 to Shinjuku). Every other means (Busses, liveries, taxis{extraordinarily expensive}, other less direct trains) are risky in terms of time. <BR> <BR>But that's $110 (three years ago) for a round trip...just to say you went...go into Narita (as suggested above) and relax--you'll get a feel for local color, etc.. and there will be a whole lot less hassle!

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 02:20 PM
Florence

The quickest is the Skyliner train (single course about Yen 1300, 1 h) to Keisei-Ueno station, close to Ueno station and Ueno park, zoo, and some of the main museums, Ameya-yokocho with its shopping, Akihabara (electronic town) 2 subways station from there on the Yamanote line, etc. <BR> <BR>You can also leave the train at Nippori-station and stroll through the streets of Yanaka, a traditional area starting in the area directly above the station. <BR> <BR>Ask for maps at the Tourist Information Center in Narita, in front of the trains gates and ticket offices. <BR> <BR>Enjoy.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 11:04 AM
lynn

Greetings again - <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone for your responses. I can see this is not going to be easy to decide. <BR> <BR>I was actually in Japan for 1 week in 1986. But, I was 19 and didn't handle any of the planning so I don't really remember any of the times tables, etc. I was just along for the ride while my father was on business. <BR> <BR>We are looking for tickets to Bangkok and thought about booking the one that stops in Japan for the long layover. We still have some thinking to do! <BR> <BR>My husband has never been and it's been so long since I went that I almost feel like I've never been either. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for all your input. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 08:24 PM
pusa

The earliest Narita Express train leaves the airport at 7:43, arriving Tokyo station at 9:02, and the earliest Keisei skyliner train leaves the airport at 9:25, arriving Ueno station (close to Akihabara & Asakusa, which are recommended) at 10:28. The earliest bus (called "limousine") leaves for Tokyo at 6:45, but travelling time depends on traffic (around 80 min?) I think the lowest stress choice is to go to the nearby Narita city. Narita guide, including timetable: http://www2n.biglobe.ne.jp/~b777-300/