hotels in hong kong for honeymoon

Mar 7th, 2000, 04:11 PM
dana

hotels in hong kong for honeymoon

Hi,
I am going to be in hong kong for 2 nights in july prior to going to bali on my honeymoon and need a nice hotel in a great location that isn't expensive. We are splurging in Bali and need to spend moderately in hong kong. I am considering the Kowloon Shangri-La or Kowloon hotel or Hyatt Regency. Does anyone know about these hotels? Do you have other recommendations about where to stay (kowloon vs. hong kong island) that is a step below the peninsula, regent, ritz and mandarin in price? Thank you very much.

Mar 7th, 2000, 07:15 PM
Michael

The Kowloon Shangri-La is a great hotel. I don't think it's inexpensive though. If it is to your budget, go for it. They really treat their guests well and it's in a good location. It's definitely one of my favorites and I've stayed at the Island Shangri-La, Mandarin Oriental, Marco Polos and other good places.

Something less expensive and nearby is the Salisbury YMCA. A really good "buy" for a room.

Mar 8th, 2000, 02:59 AM
Shakila

I prefer staying on the Hong Kong side. There are many hotels which are really nice - among them the Island ShangriLa and the Conrad. They are located just above the Pacific Place MTR and shoppoing mall.

You can also choose to take the tram (really cheap), stop at the ferry terminal and take the ferry to Kowloon. Really romantic, not to be missed at night.

If going via the ferry be sure to leave Kowloon by 11.30 pm (that is the last ferry across), other wise you can always jump into a cab.

The two hotels may be on the pricey side, the other alternative is to stay at the Sheraton Hotel on Kowloon. This hotel is located next to The Peninsula and close to YMCA. Regular rooms, but the rates can be low (especially if booked as a package).

Hope this is helpful..... Enjoy yourself. I love Hong Kong!

Mar 9th, 2000, 01:40 PM
lynn

Dana -

Have to disagree with above regarding which "part" to stay in. We prefer Kowloon side. We like shopping at the markets and the 2 best ones are on Kowloon. We've stayed at the Hyatt Regency, Grand Tower, and YMCA. The Hyatt is pretty nice. It's a business hotel. We got a rate off the Net of about $115. Grand Tower is a bit North of all the touristy stuff and is not fancy. We like it because it is very close to the markets we like. However, it is inexpensive, about $65 per night.

My recommendation would be the YMCA. I know it doesn't sound very romantic but if you call and get a room with a harbor view (I think we paid about $100) you will not be sorry. One of the problems with staying on the HK side is that you can't see HK island because you're on it! Staying at the YMCA was great because we had an awesome view of the island skyline and the harbor. Words cannot describe it. Please go for the YMCA, that view is one in a million. But only if you can book a room with a view. Otherwise, forget the YMCA. It's just a plain hotel. Not bad but nothing special either.

Good luck.

Mar 10th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Michael

Hi Dana...I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Nov of 98...The rooms were decent and the hotel has a good location Kowloon side...4 or 5 minute walk to the Star Ferry or the Harbor side Promenade.

When I went last November I stayed in the Hong Kong Hotel at 3 Canton Road, Kowloon. I signed on for the Continental Club floor which is a premium room. Came with pre-arranged transportation to and from the airport which is very good if you are a first time visitor and are dog tired if coming from the states...

I then went on to Singapore..but I returned to Hong Kong and stayed at the Same hotel. No need to pay for a Harbor View Room as this hotel is right there at the Star Ferry location in Kowloon. 1 AMD HALF MINUTE WALK FROM THE FERRY TO THE HOTEL OR THE OCEAN CITY MALL.

The reason I suggest Kowloon side ios for the shopping, the view of Hong Kong. The reason for the Hong Kong Hotel is the location, the transportation, the full buffet breakfast, the all day coffee or tea service, and the evening beverages all built in with the cost of your room. And more more thing personal private check in on the 17th floor. No standing in line.

The Hong Kong Hotel was really a nice place.

The Hyatt Regency was also nice...but was a huge hotel and I never felt that the staff was anything but indifferent.

Mike

Mar 20th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Francis

Hi Dana,

Welcome to Hong Kong.

I tend to agree with Mike that Hong Kong Hotel is a good choice. Ask for a harbour view room. Alternatively try Renassiance Harbour View. It is next to the Hong Kong Convention Centre and close to Grand Hyatt but the price is reasonable. Again ask for a harbour view! Enjoy your honeymoon!

Jun 16th, 2000, 04:27 PM
JB

thoughts on peninsula vs. regent for 2 nights as end of honeymoon in indonesia?

Jun 16th, 2000, 05:32 PM
Meg

I, too, am interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on Peninsula v. Regent. We recently took our first trip to Hong Kong and stayed at the Mandarin Oriental. We definitely want to go back and will stay at one of these two. Any comments appreciated.

Jun 21st, 2000, 12:10 AM
Lorraine

On the question of the Regent vs. the Peninsula: I have stayed at both hotels on several occasions, and my personal choice is definitely the Peninsula. It has an old-world charm and luxury (it is, after all, a piece of history) you won't be able to find anywhere else. The Regent is wonderful as well, but more modern in feel.

Jun 21st, 2000, 12:44 PM
Meg

Thanks, Lorraine.

Jun 23rd, 2000, 03:38 PM
Sally

Meg - What were your thoughts and impressions on the Mandarin Oriental? We are staying there for 5 nights in October this year for the start of our Honeymoon.

Thanks Sally

Jun 25th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Meg

Sally, we enjoyed the Oriental very much and will probably stay there again one - we just want to try something different next time. After the long flight from LAX, it was great to check into such a comfortable place with a helpful, friendly staff. We spent our first morning there pampering ourselves - room service, massage, pedicures, etc. We spent the extra money for a harbor view room with a balcony (binoculars are provided) and watched the comings and goings in the harbor. It's right across the street from the Star Ferry terminal and has great shopping out the back door. I think it is an excellent choice for a honeymoon. Where else are you going for your honeymoon?

Search this Thread