Thao Yai National Park

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thao Yai National Park

Thinking of going here in early Nov to do some hiking, take pictures and do some birding. Anybody been here before? Appreciate feedback on getting there, lodging, activities, and tour operators. I've read that there is no public transportation inside the park. Would two full days be about right?
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Do you by any chance mean KHAO Yai? I never heard of Thao Yai. If that's what you meant, there's a good article on Travelfish about doing it on your own:
http://www.travelfish.org/feature/252
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I did. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the link.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Hi
We go there by own car , but I saw some people go inside by bicycles,but there is quite large park, also there are many nice waterfalls to visit. if you will rent bicycles so be careful about other car.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:52 PM

We spent a couple of days their a few years back. Nice landscapes, loads of waterfalls and a bit of wildlife. There are plenty of guest houses along the road approaching the park although it does get very busy at weekends as it is easily reached by car from BKK, so probably best to book ahead or go mid- week when it should be ok to just turn upWe rented a car which seemed to best way to get around as the park is quite spread out. There are dorms in the park provided by the authorities and guides are all around. Quite a few decent restarants in the nearby town but it does help if you speak a little Thai as few western visitors seem to get there.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM

all the NPs have a govt. web site - check out the Khao Yai one..

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp...ommodation.asp

THere is accommodation inside the park and camping - 2 sites.
couple of days camping a strolling around is easy, but you may need to research a bit before birding.

You will have to pay the new park fee - I think it is now 400 - unless you can produce evidence of staying long-term in Thailand - e.g. DL or tax card.

THe problem is that if you stay outside the park you will be asked to pay EVERY time you re-enter, so a long stay can get expensive unless you come to some arrangement.

the park gets very crowded on week-ends and public holidays due to its proximity to both Bkk and Nakon Ratchasima.

In November there will be plenty of water in the waterfalls.....rain is less likely, but if you hire camping gear, don't expect your tent to be waterproof. judging by what I saw after rain there the tents they hire out are 100% permeable.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM

link doesn't seem to be working - try this one....

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp...sp?npid=9&lg=2

or google the Khao yai National Park Web site.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the info!