Thailand Trip - Help

Search

Thailand Trip - Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Trip - Help

Hello all I am a newbie here. So I want to say hello to all !!!

I have planned my first trip to Asia with my partner. Departing November 8th and Flying back on November 30th. I would like to get advice on must visits and length of time.

The itenarary that I have is as follows:

November 8/9 fly and arrive in Bangkok
November 10-20 Visit Bangkonk (stay at Marriott Resort & Spa) and the North - include trekking, elephant riding and cooking lessons.
November 21 to 29 Fly to Phuket and stay at JW Marriott (I am a beach berson, planning to do a lot of sea activities - diving).

If you all can throw some ideas, as to where to go and see, length of time please let me know.

PS. Is Cambodia a must visit? Afraid it will be thight.

Thanks !
David
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

I should have used spell check
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM

In Bangkok...why are you staying in one hotel for 10 days? Mix it up...and mix up the neighborhoods and experience different parts of the city.Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck on that side of the river for 10 days. And personally, I think 6-7 days would be fine for a first timer to Bangkok. Scroll down and you'll notice LOTS of us regulars in this forum have written A LOT on Bangkok and Thailand. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM

We did 10 days in BKK, and yes you probably can do BKK in 6-7 days- having 10 allows you to slow down and take it easy. Avoid the mid day periods by maybe vegging out at the hotel pool. Maybe do 5 days at one of the river hotels (the Penn gets my vote) then head over to maybe the Intercontinental or another in town hotel which puts right in the heart of the shopping venues as well as the skytrain.
Don't miss the Calypso Cabaret in the Asia Hotel- its a great show for about $25 (one drink included-don't do the dinner show). Its a class act - the theater is small- you will thank me!!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I would like to do 4 days in Bangkok, and the rest in the North of Thailand. This is what I was saying.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Ok thats clear now- but the advice to take it slow still applies- try to get an early morning start and then maybe head back to the hotel and get some R&R by the pool by mid day. Then venture out the late afternoon again. The heat and humidity will tax your energy so take it slow!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM

If you are at all interetsed in the temples at Angkor, I'd substitute Angkor for Northern Thailand.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

So here is what I would like to do

Nov. 10 - tour Bangkok & Dinner & night-life
Nov. 11 - Floating Market & tour & dinner & night-life
Nov 12 - Cooking course
Nov 13 - Tour surrounding area

Nov. 14/15/16/17 - CM or CR?

Nov 18/19/20 - Cambodia or CR?

Not sure..Not sure...
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Four days is not needed in Chiangmai. I think I had originally planned about 7 days there, but ended up doing...I think it was...3. I would put one of those days back on Bangkok. And to do the floating market, the day after you arrive, in my opinion is a bit much. I did it the day before I left Bangkok after about 4 days of having already been in Bangkok on that particular trip. It was a 12-hour day. As for Cambodia, I haven't done it yet so I can't comment. One of the other regulars will have to address that question. I still would give Bangkok 6-7 days...preferably 7, and at two different hotels...since you had originally planned 10 days... I feel 10 days would be too long...for a tourist.There's a lot to absorb in Bangkok and it's a great city, but if you are relatively young and/or enegetic then it can be easily done...very comfortably... in 7. Oh, I just figured out your original post of spending 10 days total in Thailand...not just Bangkok. When you post, it would be helpful to post the number of days, in each place, very clearly as many of us are speed reading and writing very fast as we are mutlti-tasking. OK...so you want 4 days in Bangkok. I still say 7.Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM

DavRan - must see/dos in BKK:
1) Grand Palace
2) Teak mansion
3) Jim Thompson House
4) Night Market
5) Calypso cabaret
6) Marble temple/temple of the dawn
7) MKB shopping complex

I would skip- floating market and tour of the river kwai and the weekend market (too crazy and hot)
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

My partner loves the nature/trekking stuff. So I was thing of doing a 2 night 3 day TREK. Which one and where would you recommend CM or CR? Is there something like a 4 night/5 day CM /CR trip? I am looking at options here.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM

DavRan- where do you live? Are you accustomed to the heat and humidity you will encounter there in Thailand?
Heed the advice of this forum- take it easy there- believe me the heat and humidity will wear you out and this is from someone who lives in Houston who lives in the heat and humidity all summer long!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

BillT...I love markets. Floating market was my high-light. I am more into social activities than museums.

BillT you seem to know a lot about Thailand. Do you have a website?
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM

No, but there are more regulars on this forum that know a lot more than me- Bob,James,Carol, Gloria, Guenmai- just to name a few.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

I live in Ottawa - Canada
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Ok let me revise my it.

Nov.8 - Depart Canada
Nov 9 PM - Arrive Bangkok
Nov.10 - Massage/SPA / Tour Bangkok
Nov. 11 - Tour Bangkok
Nov. 12 - Tour Bangkok
Nov. 13 - Cooking Class

Nov. 14 - CM/CR ?
Nov. 15 - CM/CR ?
Nov. 16 - CM/CR?

Nov. 17 to Nov 20 - Cambodia? Not sure. I think I will get tired of too much temples.

I am uncertain about Nov 14 to Nov 20.

Nov 21 - Fly to Phuket and enjoy 8 nights at the JW Marriott - lots of water sports and diving to be done. How is the weather in November in Phuket?

Nov 29 Fly to Bangkok
Nov 30 Fly to Canada

Nov 12 - Cooking course
Nov 13 - Tour surrounding area

Nov. 14
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM

It sounds like the first task is to decide what you are interested in. Get some guide books from the library, read posts on this board, look at photos (check out www.marlandc.com). Once you are clearer about what you are most interested in, we can be of more assistance.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Yes it will be hot and humid in Thailand ( especially I would think for a Canadian) but at least it will be in the cooler months ( "cooler" of course being relative! ).
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:06 PM

bill t... maybe you should point out the calyso show is lady boy show.. may'be the person posting is a priest or something.. lol..
------------
that biking tour some here have taken seems like a cool option.
------------
DAYram
white type of night life are ya planing on hitting.?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Orgy7- hey who said priests will not enjoy the show! But yes I agree a little more info is called for:
Calypso Cabaret- a ladyboy show- meaning these are men who have undergone much surgery to become women.
I tell you you would not believe some of these "girls". Anyway as I said they put on a very classy show- great music and dancing, colorful costumes- a class act all the way. You can come casually dressed and please bring your camera as I'm sure you will want picxtures and they are allowed. At the end of the show the performers line up as you exit and many people have their picture taken with the peformers- I guarantee people back in Canada will be surprised by these pics! Tip them a bit when you are getting your picture taken.
DavRan- again take it slow- being from Canada you do not get the heat and humidity that Thailand has and it will drain you!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -