Reload this Page >

Thailand travel

Search

Thailand travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Map

Thailand travel

Hi everyone,<BR><BR>Thinking about going to Thailand in Nov for 2 weeks. I've read many of the forum advice and find them extremely helpful. Hope you can help me on these questions:<BR><BR>1. Has any of you used circleofasia.com for hotel bookings? Any other website recommendation for hotel reservations? Is it safe to use your credit card on these websites?<BR>2. Any medical precautions or vaccinations we need to think about before we leave? We're planning on going to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Angkor Wat.<BR>3. My husband is on a medical diet which requires him to eat no carbs (starch, sugar, etc). Are we going to have any problems looking for food? I know Asian food can be starchy and saucy.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Kathie

1. I haven't used circleofasia.com, but I did book though asia-hotels.com and had no difficulty. As I remember it, they sent me an e-mail form to fill out and fax back to them with my credit card number and signature on it.<BR><BR>2. For all the info on immunizations check out www.cdc.gov. A summary: all you need are routine traveler's vaccinations: make sure your diptheria and tetanus is current, as well as polio vaccine. You should have typhoid and Hep A vaccines as well. You should take anti-malarials for Cambodia. Your options are doxycycline or malarone (not larium, as there is resistant malaria in this area).<BR><BR>3. A wide variety of foods are available. If he can't have ANY carbs, I guess the only thing he can eat is meat. If he can have carbs like veggies, he'll have lots of vegetable dishes and meat and veggie dishes to choose from.<BR><BR>One other (unsolicited) comment. You've listed four places you are going in two weeks. To me, that soulds like too many places. You use up a day each time you change location. Think about what you want out of your vacation.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Map

Thanks Kathie for your advice, you've been very helpful.<BR>Map

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:37 PM
keiko

I used Circle of Asia on my recent trip to book two hotels--Amari Airport for the night I arrived (got there around midnight) and at Peninsula (best deal for Peninsula anywhere). No problem with Credit Card.<BR><BR>Had Hepatitis A shot...but I got that before I went to China last summer.<BR><BR>I'm on low cholestrol diet--had no problems.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:11 PM
trice

The Circle of Asia gave us the best deals, Monitien Riveside US $62. and Pennusila US $122. However, you must prepay the entire trip when confirming reservations, there is a strong cancelation charge. <BR><BR>Up to date tetnus and polio were our only medical concerns, as we were only in "tourist areas", Bangkok ansd Ko Samui. In every hotel and most resturants you an find an array of foods to suit any diet.<BR>Enjoy

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:33 PM
JPA

The best for booking via internet I find are:<BR>www.travelforum.org<BR>www.hoteltravel.com <BR>www.planetholiday.com<BR>www.asiatravel.com<BR ><BR>I do not think that circle of asia has better rates than these sites and certainly not better cancellation policy.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:06 AM
pjr

I used www.asiatravel.com for all of our hotel bookings. I think that their prices are similar to circleofasia.com and I had the choice of pre-paying or paying direct with the hotel.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:10 AM
kj

One thing to keep in mind when looking at prices online is:<BR>Are taxes (up to +17%) included or not in the price quoted? Is breakfast included?<BR>At asiatravel.com tax are not included, they are extra. At Circleofasia.com they are included in the price quoted.<BR>I have not booked with either, but I've been researching for a stay that the Peninsula. 17% of 150 a night is a lot of money!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM
keiko

kj is so right about tax and breakfast. I booked Peninsula through Circle of Asia--first of all, their rate was amazingly lower than everyone else (they have some kind of special arrangement with Peninsula)--and the quoted price included 17% tax and breakfast. The breakfast at Peninsula is really nice...a huge buffet with American, Chinese, and Thai food--all sorts of yummy pastries, etc. Served from 6 to 11 am! When I went to China last summer, I foolishly did not purchase breafkast along with hotel charge-- and went ahead and ate at the hotel the first day without checking the cost--one buffet breakfast cost me $30US and there were three of us! This was the most expensive part of the entire trip!<BR>