Reload this Page >

THAILAND SHOPPING

Search

THAILAND SHOPPING

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:40 PM
Teresa

THAILAND SHOPPING

Can anyone tell me which is the cheapest place to shop, Bangkok or Phuket? I'll be mainly looking for adult and childrens clothing (not designer), Reebok etc. shoes and sportswear, Playstation and computer games and souvenirs. Which is cheaper, department stores, markets or other shops? <BR>I don't know whether to shop in Bangkok or wait till I get to Phuket. Please can anyone help?

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Glen

Hi There <BR> <BR>Shopping in Bangkok is outstanding and somewhat limited in Phuket by comparison! <BR> <BR>I bought a great pair of Reeboks at the World Trade Centre at a department store that was having a sale. You need to have a look around for the best deals and then go back and buy what you want from the cheapest place. <BR> <BR>A great place to shop at is a huge very modern mall called Seacon Square. Its a little out of the main tourist area but worth the effort of going there. The prices of things are quite a bit cheaper than central Bangkok. Even gold is much cheaper. Cds are an excellent buy there too they tend to be a few dollars cheaper than Bangkok stores. <BR> <BR>Right around the corner from the World Trade Centre is Pantip Plaza where they sell pirate software and VCD movies etc. They also sell original stuff and computer equipment. The place is a huge multi-level shopping mall. <BR> <BR>Hope this info helps you.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Glen

Hi There <BR> <BR>Shopping in Bangkok is outstanding and somewhat limited in Phuket by comparison! <BR> <BR>I bought a great pair of Reeboks at the World Trade Centre at a department store that was having a sale. You need to have a look around for the best deals and then go back and buy what you want from the cheapest place. <BR> <BR>A great place to shop at is a huge very modern mall called Seacon Square. Its a little out of the main tourist area but worth the effort of going there. The prices of things are quite a bit cheaper than central Bangkok. Even gold is much cheaper. Cds are an excellent buy there too they tend to be a few dollars cheaper than Bangkok stores. <BR> <BR>Right around the corner from the World Trade Centre is Pantip Plaza where they sell pirate software and VCD movies etc. They also sell original stuff and computer equipment. The place is a huge multi-level shopping mall. <BR> <BR>Hope this info helps you.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 05:39 PM
Ricky

Shopping in Thailand is great. But just remind you there are a lot of counterfeit products on the street (even in some department stores). They may be 30-40% lower than the "real" one. So, make sure you know what your are buying.

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 04:48 AM
Taan

Teresa, <BR> <BR>I can tell you only places in BKK. For computer games or softwares, there is a place called Panthip Plaza. But the softwares are illegal copied, just some of them are legal. The prices will not exceed than 250 Bath for any kinds of programs or any combos. This place has everything for computers. I'm pretty sure for the price though, because I just ask my friend to sent me some programs (It's cheaper to buy in US, just $10 including shipping and handling) But I'm not sure whether they have Playstation games there or not. <BR>You can buy hand-made souveniers at Narai-Phan, which is opposite to The World Trade Center. If you want to buy higher quality for silk product, I'd suggest you to buy at Jim Thompson( in World Trade Center, or another location at Surawong Rd.) <BR>Buying cloths and shoes depend on what kind of quality you want. The lower quality, the cheaper. For the department stores, Central department stores is the best in my openion. Others cheaper are markets. But it depends on how you can negotiate with the seller. You can try Chatuchak market. There are everythings. But this market opens only on weekend. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure for shopping places in Phuket. I've been there when I was very young. Everything I've had, I bought in BKK. Actually, there is another place in Songkhla province called Hat-Yai. This place is near to Phuket. Everything is cheap down there. Be sure for what you're buying though. Mostly in department stores (not the retail shops in there) sells "real" products. Others than this sell both. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 03:43 AM
Teresa

Many thanks for everyone's input, it has been very helpful. Personal advice is far better than books. Can anyone tell me if pirated games are still O.K. to use, as I'm new in the computer world. I've only had it a few months and am a first time user. Thanks again.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 04:58 PM
Glen

Hi there! <BR> <BR>Pirated games in general are okay, They are usually copied from an original disc but sometimes the disc integrity is compromised along the way. I've had success with about 90 percent of the games I've bought over the years but always seem to end up with one or two that don't work quite like they should! You can't really complain though because of the price you pay for them. You can get 4 new release games for 20 dollars on average and that's a very good deal. <BR> <BR>Hope this info helps. Happy travelling! <BR> <BR>Glen

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 06:19 PM
Larry R. Gies

<BR>My wife and I will be traveling thru Bangkok the middle of September on our return from Vietnam. Can anyone give me any information on jewelry, gold , silver, and rubies available in Bangkok?

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 12:56 PM
Patiparn

Larry, <BR>I think you can find some jewelry shops there in bangkok, but i don't know where to go for the bargains. For gold shops, you should go to Chinatown (Yaowaraj), plenty of them are there. I think you have to check for TAX-free shopping from them (VAT= 7%).

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Kathy

Night market in Chiang Mai is best, but if you arent going there, lots of great shopping at Patong Beach in Phuket, sandals t-shirts etc and make sure to bargain.if they say 600 baht make offer of 200 and see what they say many times they answered to quick to my offer.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 05:23 AM
Mary

Our family went to Bangkok and Phuket in March 99 and there was good shopping in both places. For your computer games etc the airconditioned shopping centres are slighty dearer than out on the street, but you didn't end up in a lather of sweat either. I usually bought 2 or more T-shirts collared or uncollared at a time and paid no more than 150 -160 baht each. If they don't accept move onto the next vendor but they usually follow you and agree to your price. Shoes in Thailand are all mostly synthetic and cheap synthetic at that. The best buys in shoes are the chunky variety favoured by teenage girls. Phuket was much the same price-wise as Bangkok for clothes and far more relaxing to shop in. Bangkok was not really worth the effort. Phuket was much nicer. <BR> <BR>From a dedicated haggling shopper. Good luck!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 11:58 PM
John

My wife and I have been to Bangkok and Phuket for the past 2 years and found the shopping excellent, with Bangkok slightly cheaper. As for computer games (Sony Playstation) we came home with 30 copied games and paid no more than 60 to 70 thai bhat each (make sure your playstation has been 'chipped' though). <BR> <BR>I've been to numerous countries in Asia and found Thailand quite superb.Have fun !

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 07:03 PM
Teresa

Thanks again everyone for all your much needed advice! <BR> <BR>I am also thinking of buying a Sony camcorder. I feel it would be cheaper to wait until I get there to buy one, rather than buy one duty-free before I go. Can anyone help? I have been trying to get email addresses of reliable camera retailers there to try and get prices (as I know the model I want), but haven't had any luck. Perhaps someone has used this type of retailer and can advise me? We are on a fairly tight budget. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, Teresa.