Thailand in March?

Jan 27th, 2009, 07:24 PM
virginiafish

Thailand in March?

We are looking at a O.A.T. trip to Thailand in March. Any thoughts about the trip through that company (or other recommendations) and/or the time of year?

Jan 28th, 2009, 06:41 AM

March is not the best time for Thailand, as it's being to get hot (well, hotter). But if that's the only time you can go, then do it. The best time to visit is November - February.

There is no reason to use a tour in Thailand unless that's how you like to travel. Thailand has excellent tourist infrastructure and most of the people you have contact with will speak English. Traveling with a tour means that the tour company chooses the sights you'll see, your hotels (not very conveniently located) restaurants for included meals (bland buffets, typically) and schedules shopping stops at places where the company gets kickbacks. If this doesn't bother you, OAT gets ok reviews.

If you have traveled elsewhere independently, I'd encourage you to travel independently to Thailand as well. We'll be glad to help you plan your trip.
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I've been there the last week in March and it's blazing hot and humid. But, after about a half hour outside, running around, I just kind of became numb to the heat. Maybe that's because I'm used to temperatures that can get well over the hundred mark here at home although it's dry here in L.A. Happy Travels!
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM

March is not a problem....we've done it several times.
Group tour IS a problem. Consider doing it on your own.
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
rex

Adele: see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34747922

Best wishes,

Rex
(from the Europe forum)
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
kp

We're going to Thailand with OAT in August. I'm a teacher so we didn't have a choice of "when".
I have taken 4 OAT trips--China, Peru/Ecuador, Jordan/Egypt, and a barge trip in France. All trips have been wonderful.
That said--the main OAT office isn't very organized and can be easily confused. For the China trip they didn't issue DD a return plane ticket from LA to WI. Once you get there it's usually very good. On 2 of the trips there have been people who became so ill that medical help was necessary.
Ages have ranged from 13-84.
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:35 PM

We have gone 3 times in March and one time in Feb...and Feb is really the best time to go. However...it just never seems to work with our schedules and March does. It is hot...so remember that when you are planning your days (i.e. no site seeing during the peak sun times or you will get heat stoke

I prefer Thailand on my own...with some help here and there from knowledgeable guides that are recommended on this site. Much more personal and what you want in the end.
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:12 PM

I agree with Leigh...for me a group tour would be more excruciating than the heat!

It's very easy to do Thailand on one's own. The first time I did it, in Dec 1998, I did Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand on my own for 3 weeks and I'm a female who travels alone. I was fine. Happy Travels!