Search

Thailand Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Honeymoon

Hello

We are getting married in April and would like to go to Thailand for honeymoon. Would the Month of May be a good month in Thailand?

I am starting from scratch! we live in Cape Town South Africa! i need to know which is the best Honeymoon Accommodation. Also location I hear Phuket is THE place!

Any advice from time of year, accommodation, activities, restaurants,areas etc

Budget we are looking at luxury but not at a very high price! just average! it will be both our first time over seas!

Thanks!
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 05:32 AM

the later in may you pick the better....april is the hottest month of the year in thailand.....i have been several times mid may to mid june.....the temps were warm but not bad....late each afternoon it clouded up and often there was a shower... i like that time of year....

for hotels i have lots of suggestions:

in bkk for a honeymoon i would make the following suggestions:
firstly hotels on the river: peninsula in a standard room; marriott resort and spa in a river facing room; hiton; shangri-la....
in-town: plaza anthanee (look on www.spg.com site for specials-- i just paid 3300 B ($114)); four seasons; hyatt; new meridien on suriwongse rd; jw marriott; millinium (sp) on sukhumvit...

personally i prefer river locations for first time visitors....make sure you tell the hotel it is your honeymoon... i suggest that you have the breakfast option as well....discount sites: www.agoda.com...www.asiarooms.com

phuket is ok, but i prefer other locations like krabi and khoa lak...

in phuket the le meridien is really nice and so is the jw marriott but it is a 45 minute ride to any outside restaurants, or towns...

i just stayed at the sheraton in krabi and it is fabulous but just up the road is a really fabulous place called the amari vogue---perfect for a honeymoon....we ate there one nite and it was really nice....its small and very beautiful and right on the water.... a bit pricey but worth it... the sofitel is quite nice as well...

i have the name of a driver for a one day tour out to the islands... ask if you are interested...

in khoa lak there is a new marriott with a fantastic price of around $100....jw marriott khoa lak... i'm staying there next november for a few days

the way to get to these places is on air asia...they have a sale right now....make sure to do the advance seating option and also super size your luggage... we left some luggage at the bkk hotel when we went there too....they will store it for free...

see if you can hire tong for a few days while in bkk: www.tourwithtong.com .. she is fabulous....go to the fishing village and the floating market...a combo day...
also nice to have them take you for bkk tours... worth the $$...

i have a restaurant listing for bkk... e mail me at [email protected] and i will send it to you....you can also ask me any specific questions you have there...
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Congrats! I, like above poster, prefer other Thai beaches to Phuket. IMO, far superior are Ko Phi Phi and Railay Beach in Krabi. I'd recommend flying to Krabi from BKK, spending time on Railay, and then taking the ferry out to Phi Phi and spending a few days out there. We loved our hotel on Phi Phi, the Bayview. We paid under $100/night for one of their superior bungalows and views are amazing, and the beach is super quiet and secluded. Info and pics for both beaches (and Phuket, too) in our posts at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/

Good luck!
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM

The beach you choose in Thailand should be dependent on the weather. the rainy season switches from the east side to the west side. Phuket is on the west side. Take a look at weatherbase.com for average rainfall. Ko Samui is the best beach on the east side.

For hotels in Bangkok, I strongly suggest you stay on the river. The Oriental and Peninsula are 5 star superb hotels. The Shangrila is 4 1/2 stars. the Marriott and the Royal Orchid Sheraton are both solid 4 star hotels. The prices range accordingly. They are much cheaper than Europe or the US. Take a look at Sawadee.com for prices. Many of us have successfully booked through this site.

You will probably fly to a beach. Air travel in Thailand is actually superior to that in the US. Thai Air and bangkok Air are both very good. You can save some money with Air Asia, a discount carrier that is very efficient.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Lare, congratulations! Thailand is an excellent place for a honeymoon. I would agree with you, Phuket is THE place. Many tourists visit there each year to see the world-class beaches and eat some of the country’s best Thai food! I would definitely consider it for your honeymoon. If you are going in May, you can expect highs in the 90s and lows in the 70s. Also, check out TripAdvisor for some great reviews of the area.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html