Search

Thailand/Cambodia/Myanmar Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand/Cambodia/Myanmar Itinerary Help

Hi Everyone,

I've spent lots of time researching these forums (THANK YOU!) but wanted to reach out for some additional advice on a solo trip itinerary to SE Asia for this upcoming July. I'm a 31 year old guy and have traveled pretty extensively, but rarely ever solo. Main travel interests are taking in the local culture, sightseeing, eating good food reseting/relaxing... ie not partying/doing the backpacker circuit.

A few broad insights into my travel planning and then the questions/issues I'm wrestling with:

a) I would love to incorporate Myanmar into this trip if possible, but it seems like since it is still a bit off-the-beaten-path (which, granted, is the appeal of going!) planning might be tough. I am OK if there are some hiccups in travel plans, but I am less certain about doing this when traveling alone. On other trips I've had my share of disasters, but at least always have a buddy to weather the storm and laugh about it over a beer later. FWIW, I did include Myanmar in one proposed itinerary (the day-by-day itinerary is a rough idea from what I've found on the websites of some tour operators... which I'd perhaps use to avoid navigating this all alone).

b) Is it worth a quick side-trip to Cambodia for Siem Reap? I could skip this to make more time for Thailand/Myanamr, as I can always plan to return for Angkor Wat in the future. But I've always wanted to see Angkor Wat and I feel like it should be pretty doable. True?

Anyway- here are my two proposed itineraries, one with Myanmar and one without. Please let me know if any major omissions, red flags, or mis-allocated days! I really, truly, deeply appreciate the help!

Option 1 (with Burma):
Day 1 Arrive Bangkok (hopefully in morning... if flight gets in late, may try to add another day in Bangkok)
Day 2 Bangkok
Day 3 Bangkok/Day trip to Ayutthya
Day 4 Travel to Yangon, Myanmar
Day 5 Myanmar (Yangon, travel to Bagan)
Day 6 Myanmar (Bagan, travel to Mandalay)
Day 7 Myanmar (Mandalay, travel to Inle Lake)
Day 8 Myanmar (Inle Lake, travel back to Yangon)
Day 9 Myanmar/Travel to Chiang Mai
Day 10 Chiang Mai
Day 11 Chiang Mai
Day 12 Chiang Mai
Day 13 Travel to Siem Reap
Day 14 Siem Reap
Day 15 Siem Reap
Day 16 Travel to Ko Samui
Day 17 Ko Samui
Day 18 Ko Samui
Day 19 Ko Samui
Day 20 Travel Home

OPTION 2 (No Burma):
Day 1 Arrive Bangkok
Day 2 Bangkok
Day 3 Bangkok
Day 4 Bus to Ayutthya in AM; see Ayutthya
Day 5 Morning train to Phitsanuloke then bus to Sukhothai
Day 6 Sukhothai
Day 7 Travel to Chiang Mai
Day 8 Chiang Mai
Day 9 Chiang Mai
Day 10 Chiang Mai
Day 11 Travel to Siem Reap
Day 12 Siem Reap
Day 13 Siem Reap
Day 14 Siem Reap
Day 15 Travel to Koh Sumai
Day 16 Koh Sumai
Day 17 Koh Sumai
Day 18 Koh Sumai
Day 19 Travel home from Koh Sumai or to BKK
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 04:07 PM

If you want to visit Burma, you need more time for it than you allow in your itinerary 1. That itinerary gives you just 4 days in country (you really can't count your arrival and departure days), and every day is a travel day. Sounds awful to me! Myanmar has so much to offer, I'd say give it a full week or more or don't go.

Your second itinerary is fine.Not exciting, but just fine. Since this si your first solo trip to SE Asia, that is ok. You can save the more adventuresome travel for your next trip
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie... that was my concern with Myanmar. I think if I end up doing Myanmar, I'll cut out Siem Reap for now to have a few extra days to go.

As for not exciting-- well it's exciting for me But I know what you mean, it's a very standard list of places with nothing at all out of the ordinary. Do you have any other places (even just one) you'd add to spice it up a little? I am certainly willing to try something different. Thanks for your help! I've read a lot of your comments on other threads and you're a maven of information on SE Asia!
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Myanmar has become my favorite destination in SE Asia. If you cut Siem Reap and take a day from Chiang Mai, you could get an introduction to Burma/Myanmar.

Other suggestions in mainland SE Asia might be Luang Prabang, Laos or Georgetown, Penang. Take a look at our photos for inspiration: www.marlandc.com