Thailand beach with teens?

Feb 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Rosetta Morris

Thailand beach with teens?

We are travelling to Thailand with our teenage kids and are concerned that some beach resorts have a reputation for rather raunchy nightlife. We know about Pattaya but have read reports that Phuket and Koh Samui have a lot of bars and clubs that we would 'prefer our kids not to come across'. Does anyone have any tips for a beach where our kids can enjoy themselves but we do not have to worry about them being out on their own? They are sensible and worldly-wise.

Feb 7th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Apiwat

Hi Rosetta,

Hua Hin beach(2 & 1/2 hour drive from Bangkok) will be best for teens and children. Nice respectful little town where the King of Thailand reside most of the time. Beach is quite nice too with some good hotels there.

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Anna

Railay Beach would be a good choice, it is easily accessible by long tail boat from Ao Nang or Krabi. We divided our beach time between Railay and Phi Phi Island and wish we had spent all of our time on Railay with a day trip to Phi Phi. We took an introductory rock climbing course while at Railay, your kids might enjoy it. It was a lot of fun and I am not usually one to over exert myself! We rented a house at the Railay Beach Club, but there were several bungalow complexes too (Railay Village and Sand and Sea were both nice). We liked West Railay as it had a beautiful beach, while East Railay is more of a mud flat. But, we walked to East Railay every day to get to the path to Phra Nang beach which was our favorite beach in the area (and the home to the Rayavadee Resort). You could also hire a long tail to take you there quickly and inexpensively from West Railay.

http://www.railay.com/railay/intro/intro.shtml

Feb 8th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Morgan

It has to be Hua Hin. Clean, no touts or hustlers, long wide beach ( especially towards the south of town ). Your teens can go out in the evenings without you worrying as go go bars and the like are not allowed in Hua Hin, having said that the nightlife is pleasant, a lot of cafes, some Latin clubs, Thai boxing, cultural show, sidewalk cocktail bars. Elephant treking is available also river and sea boats/fishing. Ideal choice and is so cheap to get to as it is only a few hours by road south of Bangkok airport.
We much preferred it to Samui, Pattaya or Phuket which we thought were overpriced and touts everywhere.

Feb 8th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Ursula

Rosetta: As long as you avoid Patong on Phuket Island, you will find it a most wonderful place, Bang Tao, norht of Patong, is very quiet and away from hassle and tourist traps, but a bit far outside.
I suggest you choose a resort on Kata or Karon beach which is south of Patong. Put even Patong is ok for some shopping, strolling and looking around and for a pleasant dinner.
I have been to Phuket and Hua Hin. And will go back to the latter in April. Difficult to say, which one I do prefer. Both are beautiful, but I think I like Phuket a little better.
Hua Hin is very convenient to reach from Bangkok and this made us decide to go back there. We will be coming from a long round trip in Vietnam and do not want to take the plane again.

Most important, choose a nice and family friendly resort with activities for them during the day.

Feb 8th, 2002, 11:24 AM
T.Cho

I agree, avoid Patong Beach on Phuket at all costs. Late night on Samui can be rather crazed and I would not suggest allowing the kids to roam around there. Hua Hin is probably your best option, not nearly as scenic in beauty as many other Thai locations but so close to Bangkok and the River Kwai makes it a fairly good choice.

Search this Thread