Search

Thai Air

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 12:33 PM
jon

Thai Air

Flying Thai airways, economy class in a couple of weeks to Bangkok. Is Thai comparable with Singapore Air and Cathay Pacific? We were very satisfied those airlines on previous travels.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 06:01 PM
sunnysmom

Thai Airways is an excellent airline. Comfortable aircraft and very hospitable flight attendants. Plus they give out free orchids. I flew from Bankok to Kathmandu (and back) and have fond, safe memories.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Brad

I fly Thai Airlines, on average, about once a month and have been doing it for about two years. Thai Airways is one of the top 50 airlines in the world and very comparable to Singapore Airlines. although I believe Singapore is probably one of the top five in the world. The Thai air fleet is new and very well maintained. Pilots are very competent and a large percentage of them are former military pilots (U.S. trained) or at least trained via U.S. style/type training programs (when the U.S. sold the Thais the F-16 in the early 90’s the agreement was that a USAF pilot would do the training at Korat Air Base in Thailand, home of RTAF (Royal Thai Air Force) Wing 1)). <BR> <BR> I can’t imagine you having any trouble with Thai Airlines at all. The only airline in Southeast Asia that a really, really worry the most about is Lao Aviation – stay away from them. <BR> <BR>BRAD

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 07:14 AM
Frank

I've flown with Thai a few times and found them to be quite good. However, I do know that Thai Airways' standards for safety do not match other airlines. I have a friend who has worked for both Thai and Japan Airlines and has stated that Japan Airlines is much better for safety procedures. Even Thai training staff have mentioned that Japan Airlines is much better than Thai regarding safety measures and equipment (expired, etc). <BR> <BR>Although, Thai is known as a decent airline for service, I do now wonder how well they are to handle some emergency situations. Just my input.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 10:09 PM
Linda

I just flew from Bangkok to Changmai and back on Thai airways. The takeoff and landings are very rough - it feels like someone stepping on the gas, let go of the pedal and stepped on it again. Both trips feel the same. Otherwise, service was acceptable. These are not small planes-airbus A300. I don't think I want to fly 15 hours on a plane navigated by these pilots.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Stephen

I was just in Asia and flew Thai Airways both between different countries and within Thailand. Four flights in total. While the service was quite good on board, every one of my flights was late leaving, an average of one hour delay. My flight from Phuket to Bangkok (a flight of just over one hour) was delayed two hours and I missed my connection in Bangkok. Leave yourself lots of time for connecting flights if you fly Thai.