Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever done this from Toyama thru to Shinano Omachi?

We are looking at doing this during our next trip in the fall 2009 and would appreciate any information on the transport and places to stay along the route. I know that we would a have to take a Train, cable car, bus, tunnel train,another cable car, and bus to get through, I was just wondering if any fodorite has done this before and what were you experiences?

Aloha!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Haven't done it yet, but I thought it was pretty much a day trip. I suppose there are places to stay enroute.

Am considering this for the end of November this year. I've read that the tour is open until late November.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how late in November (after the 20th?).

I'm sure you must have read this, ht:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-402.pdf
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:04 PM

I recall reading about Unazuki Onsen and those stretches of non-JR rail northeast of Toyama (and shown on the map on that pdf). Looked pretty interesting. Might have been jnto where I was reading.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:04 AM

there is a very fabulous 6* hotel along the route....you need to reserve over a year in advance....they only accept cash....please forward a box of $100 bills to me and i will see if i can get you in...

they have those co-ed baths there where the men walk behind the women when entering the area...
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

hahaha Bob, take some coqui frogs back in your suitcase today.....your neighbors will love you for it

mrw,
Actually there is a nice hotel in Murodo called the Hotel Tateyama that I am considering,or since we will be chasing the Koyo front we may stop at the Midagahara Plateau where there is a Midagahara Hotel. Have you seen this site?

http://www.alpen-route.com/english/index.html

we are looking at starting from Kanazawa or Toyama in the morning and stop at Murodo overnight. I know the Alpine route can be done as a day trip but we wanted to check out the scenery and walk around a bit, take some pictures..... then on to Awanoyu Ryokan in Shirabone Onsen
would love a wunrfl report when you get back

Aloha!

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info ht and the link (it has probably been three years since I've been to that website). Might have to cancel the trip, tho, about 90% sure. Would have made the gtg if I knew 100%.