Tamil Nadu in early March or November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm contemplating a trip to Tamil Nadu and am wondering if I should book it for early March or if there would be a real benefit to traveling in November. Any ideas or experiences would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM

I've just been there in November '09 - but I went crazy. It was probably the time of year. lol. Better go in March.

To be serious - the further OUTSIDE tourist season you can go, I suspect, the better the experience will be - and the cheaper the hotel rates. I would exercise extreme caution with your choices of residence. Report back on your focus and I'll try and help. If you actually want to BE in Tamil Nadu, as opposed to an ersatz approximation of somewhere vaguely Indian, you'll have to choose carefully, be demanding and set yourself an itinerary - don't rely on a tour company.

If you want resorts, boutiques and spas, British expats setting up 'home' in the hills, carefully cultivated 'experiences', palm trees, beaches and the blandest of bland food - ignore all the above, go to Sawdays and just book everything you see.

http://www.sawdays.co.uk/search/listing.php?where=tamil nadu&seq=406&order=&RecFrom=0

Somehow, linhelen, dunno why - I don't think you're like that. There are wonders to be seen - but I'm not actually sure if most visitors really want to see them.

But then, I was crazy. Nothing new there.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

You are right. I am absolutely not like that. I was hoping the weather in March will still be comfortable to tolerable.
Thanks for the response. Still researching.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:47 AM

I have been going to South India every two or three years since 1976 and I don't know when the tourist season is, but I would suggest that South India becomes horribly hot and humid starting in February. I hope one day to go in November as the weather is supposed to perfect - warm and dry. December and January are lovely as well.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:27 AM

It'll be 35C max, 25C min. 65-85% humidity in March. I used Madurai as my example.

The tourist season kicks in Nov 1 -15th, depending on the exact area, and clocks off March 1 - 15. Really, the masses are gone by February. A perfect time to arrive.

Where do you go, puttaka? South India is a big area. If you draw a line from Mumbai across the sub-continent, ALL of that is South India. Are you talking Kerala or Goa or Karnataka, Andra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu or all over? Do you go back to the same place each time?
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Dogster, I am South Indian, which should be apparent from my screenname. As such, I am aware how big South India is. It gets super hot and humid after January.

Linhelen, as someone who goes to South India all the time, I would go in November. I am not a tourist in India but I would not like to be in South India (Karnataka, Kerala, TamilNad) after January because the weather is pretty unbearable. Period.

When I go to India, I always go to Mysore and then usually head somewhere else for temples and other diversions. I have been pretty much all over Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala, and Tirupathi in Andhra. Every time we go somewhere different. The end of January starts to get hot, which is why we try to go in December or January.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM

I should add, I took a night bus from Bangalore to Madras (now Chennai) in late December-early January 1991. Chennai was so hot that I got super dehydrated and had to drink salted limewater for days on end! My dad and I explored a little around Chennai during that trip and it was pretty unbearable. Mysore was, and usually is, much nicer.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response, puttakka. I was concerned about just what you described. On my previous trip to India I traveled around in the north and I did go in Nov. The weather was always very comfortable.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM

The first time I was in Tamil Nadu was in 1991, when I was a a teenager. I had a dance performance in Madras (now Chennai) so I was there to rehearse and peform. I went to a few temples but mostly had to stay out of the heat to avoid dehydration. Then, my dad and I went exploring. My dad did all the planning and I did not pay that much attention except that I do remember Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabalipuram. I think that is a must-see. Chennai proper is pretty chaotic.

The last time I was in India was December 2006 and we went to Madurai (for religious reasons, not sightseeing) as well as Kanyakumari which is on the border between Tamil Nadu and Kerala (also for religious reasons).I am not sure whether a non-Hindu would really enjoy Madurai (I am not sure what a non-Hindu does in Madurai besides visit the Meenakshi temple) but Kanyakumari is magical - it the tip of India where all three bodies of water meet and you really can see the distinction between the three seas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanyakumari. We popped around Kerala a bit during the trip, checked out Thiruvananthapuram, some temples, and a teak house. I remember it being very lush and green in early December.

Here is some general info on Kanyakumari. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanyakumari We took a night train from Bangalore - a 20 hour journey time.

Do you have your heart set on Tamilnad only? Mysore is wonderful, as is Mangalore.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I am really in the beginning stages of planning. I am considering the places you mentioned including Mysore. Didn't know about Kanyakumari. Thanks for that.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Also interested in Periyar.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Well, if you are still thinking, I suggest Hampi and Belur/Halebid in Karnataka. If you want to pick a city to base yourself in and absorb life, I would pick Mysore (you can go to Srirangapatna from there).
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. You have been very helpful.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 03:29 AM

One more thing about Kanyakumari - there are some touristy things there but the main attraction is the sunrise and sunset.

I was super jetlagged when I went there (the day we got to India after a 24-hour plane journey, my dad had us taking a night bus the Tirupathi for a day trip and a night bus back to Bangalore and then the day we got back to Bangalore we took the night train to Kanyakumari) so I was super awake at 6 AM.

The sun rises out of the sea in the morning and it is an actual event - everyone gets up to watch it. We stayed at a barebones government of India hotel and at 6 AM headed up to the roof to sit and watch the sun rise - along with the rest of the town, I guess, because everyone starts clapping when it emerges from the sea. It is exhilarating - getting up to greet the arrival of a new day. The sunsets are equally spectacular.

As you probably know, from travelling in India, you really can only do one thing on one day.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

>As you probably know, from travelling in India, you really can only do one thing on one day.
Yes. A lot of contemplation time is a good idea. What you are describing sounds marvelous.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:25 AM

'...I am South Indian, which should be apparent from my screenname...'

Errr... no. Why should it 'be apparent'? Help me with the reference. I've Googled 'puttakka', but I'm none the wiser. It doesn't seem to be apparent to them, either.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM

You can't find everything on the internet, dogster.

I just found it amusing that you were questioning the knowledge of someone who is actually South Indian and that you were recommending March as a "perfect time" after checking the temperature on the internet.

If the OP went in March, it would be too hot to enjoy anything, especially the temples, (and I am a person who relishes the heat). Especially if one is coming from a colder area, the shock to the system of the heat and humidity might knock you out for a few days. I went once in April and got so sick from the change in temperature that I was out of commission for a few days. Not fun.

I guest Nov-March is tourist season for a reason!
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Puttakka: read my post again. Here's what I said:

'...Where do you go, puttaka? South India is a big area. If you draw a line from Mumbai across the sub-continent, ALL of that is South India. Are you talking Kerala or Goa or Karnataka, Andra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu or all over? Do you go back to the same place each time?...'

Please, where am I questioning your knowledge or integrity?

I'll ask again - why is it 'apparent' you are from South India? What is the 'puttakka' reference that is unavailable on the internet but should be obvious to me? Please, just so I know, what PART of South India are you actually from?

I don't doubt your knowledge for an instant, your stories are great - but in my experience people tend not to describe themselves as 'South Indian'. That's very unusual. People seem WAY too proud of their specific culture. They say 'I'm from Kerala, I'm from Tamil Nadu, I'm from Karnataka, Goa... '

No, I'm not 'recommending March as a "perfect time" after checking the temperature on the internet...'

Actually, I've been in 'South India' in March and April, quite a few times in quite a few places. Well, your version of South India - which is pretty big. If Madhya Pradesh, Andra Pradesh, Karnatika and Goa are in South India then I've been there during those months every year for the last three years. I recommended it as a good time for quite different reasons which you've chosen to ignore - or simple don't understand.

As you know, there is a difference between Mumbai, Maheshwar and Madurai; Munnar and Kanyakumari. As you know, it's not geographically, culturally or climatically all the same. That's why I was asking you to be specific - that's all.

I simply used the internet to give some actual figures, rather than opinions - because what is unbearable to you to you is not necessarily unbearable to someone else. So I went for facts. Sorry.

I have been to India a few times myself - the first time in 1971. I've spent two of the last three years there, all up, over many trips to many parts of your magnificent country. I've been writing about the sub-continent in Fodor's, at GREAT length, all of that time. All this is available, as you know, at the press of a button. Please don't read things into my words that aren't there, snigger or make the inference that I'm just some shallow internet expert/fool. I don't care for it.

I can never be a local - but nor can you be a tourist. India is a very different place when seen through ignorant eyes.

O.K.? Now we understand each other.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM

My, we are testy today, aren't we? Have someone's feathers been ruffled?

Linhelen - sorry your thread has been hijacked. Hope some of the info has been useful.

My dad is going to Pondicherry! He'll be going in January so I can ask him if he thinks it's worth a visit. We were researching it over the weekend - here is a link
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/03/30...ndicherry.html

I am so excited for you. My husband and I are thinking to go to India together in 2011 - he has never been there! So I am trying to remember all the places I have been and what would be most interesting for him. SO I will be following your plans too!!!
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Don't be patronising, please.

And still, you don't answer any of my questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -