Taj for the first time

Jan 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Taj for the first time

We have a trip planned to see the Taj Mahal for our first time this March. I had read earlier that much of the Taj was going to be covered for repair--I just want to be prepared for what we will encounter. Has restoration started--what is the progess??

Thanks so much in advance.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM

With regard to repairs at the Taj Mahal, from the only recent article I could find, in the Washington Post, it appears that some of the entrance gates are under repair, see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011002917.html. I have not seen any other reports or pictures. The mausoleum itself occasionally has scaffolding on parts, as repairs are pretty constant; but to the best of my knowledge, they never cover the entire structure, only parts (like one side or so) at a time. And major would would not be done during the winter tourist season.

There has been some “mud pack” work going on parts of the Taj Mahal for about a year or so, but I don’t think it involved any significant scaffolding, and I don’t think that anyone here has reported seeing much in the last year or so. I belive that the work is almost done, see http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100158329.html

Can you remember where you read the reports on major work? Perhaps the aricle would give more details.

I looked at the Taj Mahal page on the website for the Archaeological Survey of India, which has jurisdiction over the monument (see http://asi.nic.in/) but could not find any information indicating that major repairs were planned or underway.

Major repairs are apparently going on the at the "Baby Taj" in Agra and in Fatephur Sikri, which is the ancient capital city outside of Agra. Perhaps you saw a reference to one of those.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM

I just noticed that the Washington Post article is from January 2007, I thought is was from 2009. (Need to wear the glasses!) So it isn't even recent.
Feb 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM

I saw the Taj in December of 2009 (six weeks ago) and no repairs were underway that I could see.
Feb 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM

I was there on Dec 30, 2009 and everything was fine. There are some scaffolds on the back but you do not see them from the front and it did not ruin the view in any way. It is an amazing site and do get there first thing in the morning. By the afternoon the line goes on and on. I was thankful we had come at 6:30am and there was already a small line.

Enjoy your trip!
Feb 6th, 2010, 10:41 PM

and there were some scaffolds on the main gate as well.