Taiwan/HK or Thailand?

Search

Taiwan/HK or Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taiwan/HK or Thailand?

Basically I got awarded surprise vacation in late November. I would depart November 24th from my hometown and stay until December 4th where I would fly back home.

I’m a mid 20s solo traveler and have narrowed down where I want to go to either Taiwan (maybe can combine with Hong Kong) or Thailand.

Now the reason I’m highly considering Thailand is that I heard my timeframe is the best time to go weather wise. However, with 8 full days I heard is not enough to explore Thailand? Was thinking I could pick 2 out of 3 between: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Krabi.

With Taiwan, I could see a lot in 8 full days. And I will have more time to see Thailand next year when my vacation resets. However, I wanted to take my next vacation in March and heard that’s not the best time to visit Thailand as it’s burning season?

I’m a bit torn on choosing between the two. Either I can get the best weather right now, but not best timeframe for Thailand, or can do Taiwan but miss out on the optimal time to visit Thailand.

My interests are big cities, nature/scenery (hiking), good food. Japan, Iceland, and Switzerland are probably the top 3 countries I’ve visited. My last trip to Asia was Japan, did 2.5 weeks there and I loved it.

Thailand appeals to me for the backpacker network, as well as beaches/nature.

Taiwan appeals to me for the people, food, nature, city. And I love skyscrapers so Hong Kong’s skyline just looks amazing to me.

Any advice for making my choice?
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 11:16 PM

Taiwan/HK or Thailand?

• With only 8 full days, Thailand does feel a bit rushed. You'd likely only have time to see Bangkok plus one other destination like Chiang Mai or an island. Taiwan or a Taiwan/Hong Kong combo is more doable time-wise.
  • Weather-wise, late November to early December is a great time to visit Thailand, especially the islands. Taiwan's weather will be cooler but still pleasant for sightseeing.
  • For your interests in cities, nature, hiking, and food, Taiwan seems like an excellent fit. The food scene in Taipei is incredible, and you can easily get out to hike in places like Taroko Gorge. Hong Kong also has great hiking options like Dragon's Back Trail.
  • Thailand may be better if you're really wanting more of a beach/island experience. The backpacker scene is certainly lively there. But Taiwan has nice beaches too on islands like Kenting.
  • Considering you loved Japan and with your interest in skyscrapers, Taiwan/Hong Kong seems like it aligns well with your travel style. The mix of Chinese and Japanese influences in Taiwan I think you'd appreciate.
Overall, Taiwan/Hong Kong gets my vote, especially given your time constraint. It aligns better with your interests and 8 days gives you a nice taste without feeling too rushed. Thailand will still be there for a future trip when you have more time to explore! Let me know if you need any other specifics as you make your decision.
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinyen
  • With only 8 full days, Thailand does feel a bit rushed. You'd likely only have time to see Bangkok plus one other destination like Chiang Mai or an island. Taiwan or a Taiwan/Hong Kong combo is more doable time-wise.
  • Weather-wise, late November to early December is a great time to visit Thailand, especially the islands. Taiwan's weather will be cooler but still pleasant for sightseeing.
  • For your interests in cities, nature, hiking, and food, Taiwan seems like an excellent fit. The food scene in Taipei is incredible, and you can easily get out to hike in places like Taroko Gorge. Hong Kong also has great hiking options like Dragon's Back Trail.
  • Thailand may be better if you're really wanting more of a beach/island experience. The backpacker scene is certainly lively there. But Taiwan has nice beaches too on islands like Kenting.
  • Considering you loved Japan and with your interest in skyscrapers, Taiwan/Hong Kong seems like it aligns well with your travel style. The mix of Chinese and Japanese influences in Taiwan I think you'd appreciate.
Overall, Taiwan/Hong Kong gets my vote, especially given your time constraint. It aligns better with your interests and 8 days gives you a nice taste without feeling too rushed. Thailand will still be there for a future trip when you have more time to explore! Let me know if you need any other specifics as you make your decision.
How would Taiwan be in March? I just realized that Chiang Mai which is where I would visit (would do Chiang Mai and beach area this trip) is not suggested to go in March which is where I would have more time to explore Thailand.

In March I would have 2 full weeks to explore so I could do something like Hong Kong + Taiwan + Seoul or something.

But if it’s better to visit Taiwan right now then I will prefer that!