Tailor made suit - Hoi An Vietnam

Oct 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Tailor made suit - Hoi An Vietnam

Hi this is a message from my parents, any help would be helpful.

Greetings: My husband and I are off to Vietnam in 2 weeks. When we are in Hoi An we are considering having a suit made for my husband. Is there a tailor you would recommend?

Do the tailors normally ship the garment/suit to your home country (in our case - Canada)? If so, could anyone tell us the cost of the shipping (including duty and tax)?
Thank you so much for your help.
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM

I had some clothing (women's) made at Yaly Tailor in Hoi An. They have two shops. I've not heard of anyone having clothing shipped but that is not to say it is not possible.

You need to have several fittings and the norm is to pick up the garment(s) and take them home with you.

How many days will you be in Hoi An? Make sure you have enough time for multiple fittings.
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM

my experience is with shipping from thailand and it is quite expensive...i would not want to just order something, have a fitting and then have the finishing done and then shipped....it think it would be a plan destined to fail....so if you don't have a minimum of 3-4 days, i would not order anything
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM

I agree completely. With less than 3-4 days, most of your time will be spent at the fittings.

Please consider bringing originals of the clothing you want copied. I know that you do not likely want to carry a suit with you (!!) but in my experience of having clothing made in many Asian countries, your chances of being satisfied with the final product will be much greater if you give them an original to work with.
Oct 26th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, they have decided not to ship home the suit but try and bring it with them.