Surfing in Indonesia

Search

Surfing in Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surfing in Indonesia

I posted in Australia and South Pacific but a poster suggested I post here in Asia. So here goes again.

A friend of mine (he is in his 20's) wants to go on a surfing trip to Indonesia in July/Aug 2017. Right now his friend backed out.

1. Are there any surf or travel groups you can recommend or how he could meet up with others who have similiar plans.

2. What are the best destinations in Indonesia for surfing?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Hi nanabee - though I would reply here rather than in the Australia forum. I am not surfer, try as I might I never got the hang of It! Not sure about Java but Lombok has a fair amount for surfers as does Sumbawa - you may get some info on the what to do section on this page of Travelfish https://www.travelfish.org/country/indonesia#what . You may well get better responses on their forums too which are more likely to be frequented by surfers than Fodors.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 03:09 PM

Also, in my other response, I forgot about Nha Trang in Vietnam which does have some surfing. Bai Dai, some 20kms south of NT is one of the more popular spots with good surf. The weather should be pretty good too at that time of year.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 04:36 PM

There are hundreds of good to excellent surf spots in Indonesia and July/August is peak season for most of them.

Choosing the right place would depend on your friend's level of expertise and whether he wants to go to a place with an established tourism infrastructure (Bali, Lombok) or off the beaten track (Nias, Sumba, Sumbawa, Java).

The more remote places offer surf camps (for example G-Land -- Grajagan -- in Java or Dreamtime in Sumbawa) which include full Getting to these places can be an adventure in itself. Some of the camps provide transport.

Bali has a huge culture of 20 something international surfers of varying degrees of skill. There are overnight surf camps along the northwest coast around Balian and a critical mass of day surfers at quite a few locations in Bali and Lombok. For a social atmosphere, look in Canggu, around Old Man's in Batu Bolong, Echo Beach in Pererenan, and Nomad in Keramis. For the serious surfer, Ulu Watu and the bukit (south coast). Kuta beach in Lombok is also a gathering point.

In Canggu and the bukit there are many, many low priced places to stay, full of surfers and surfer friends and family. These are generally friendly, all inclusive cultures and if your friend goes to one of the parties at Finn's, Single Fin or Deus ex Machina he will meet plenty of people to hang out with.

If he does some internet research he'll find lots of people catering to surfers throughout Indonesia -- surf camps, surf resorts, surf lessons, surf transport, surf cams, surf clubs. It's a huge part of the culture.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

great advice to post here crellston! Thanks

and thanks marmot very much.

Am passing this info to my friend. I know he will really appreciate it.