Search

Sulawesi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sulawesi

We have spent recent months on and around Sulawesi and the eastern island provinces of Indonesia and West Papua. I'm not interested in posting a vanity piece, but if anyone on the forum is after travel tips, maybe we can provide some.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 08:09 AM

What a coincidence. I am headed to Indonesia next September, so please do tell about your experiences. What did you see, and how did you get around? Sulawesi is on the top of my wish list, and West Papua was on the maybe list. Did you get to Sumatra at all?

I have three weeks for my trip, so what do you recommend for someone who is interested in nature and culture?
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If, by "vanity piece", you mean a trip report, why not? A lot of people find them useful. A lot of people enjoy reading them. And your memory of the trip will fade over time.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 07:12 AM

Many of us enjoy reading about other's travels. Sulawesi is a place that interests me, so I'd like to read about your experiences there.

While there are occasional "trip reports" that are vanity pieces (like the couple whose report consisted of selfies of them in front of every notable monument they visited), I find most trip reports interesting and informative.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 08:57 PM

'm sure Maree will give you her insights, but I wanted to say a few words about Sulawesi too. I've made a couple of trips to Central Sulawesi/Tanah Toraja and to North Sulawesi/Manado and Bitung. I think it's one of the most beautiful and culturally significant parts of Indonesia.

To get to Tanah Toraja (AKA Torajaland) you fly into Makassar and get driven to Rantepao or one of the other tourism centers. Depending on your destination the drive is 6 to 8 hours. The peak tourism month is August, and many ceremonies are scheduled for that time. September should be good too.

There are many, many guides in the area who will take you to the various architectural, burial and cultural sites and arrange for you to attend funerals and other ceremonies. The natural surroundings are profoundly beautiful. You can connect with a guide upon arrival or set up a package including transportation from Makassar in advance. Your resort will arrange both.

Overland travel within Sulawesi is restrictive because there are few roads. To get to North Sulawesi you have to backtrack to Makassar and fly to Manado. Manado itself is a gracious city, but the real draw are the reefs and national parts in the area. Bunaken to the east and the Lembeh Strait to the west are both magnificent diving and snorkeling areas.

I haven't been there for sometime, but Kungkungan Bay Resort was a stunning location. You can snorkel right from the beach and it's a beautiful place to spend time even if you like to stay on solid ground. The resort is frequented by marine biologists and photographers who often give presentations in the evening.

Kungkungan is near the town and Bitung, not too far from Tangkoko National Park where you can see a variety of small primates, like macaques and tarsiers, and hornbills. Accommodation is available in and near the park itself.

There are also several remote and beautiful dive locations in South Sulawesi, notably Wakatobi.

I haven't been to West Papua or Sumatra. West Papua has become a popular destination, especially for Raja Laut live-aboards. For some reason, Sumatra doesn't get a lot of love from travellers I know. The Lake Toba area is a destination, but reports on the environment have been mixed. An interesting fact: the island in the middle of Lake Toba (which is a volcanic caldera) is larger than the island of Singapore.
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 07:27 AM

Thanks, marmot. Very useful.
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Thank you, Marmot, for your concise information. If a person is not a diver or beach-goer, do you think a visit to Sulawesi is worth it? Besides Tangkoko National Park, where can one see wildlife?
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM

There are several national parks and a lot of wilderness in Sulawesi. Lore Lindu for example. Wildlife is mostly small mammals and birds.

Sulawesi has miles and miles of coastline and some of the most spectacular reefs on the planet. I think a non-water person would still enjoy Kungkungan and the like just for the natural beauty of the surroundings, but marine life is the main draw.

Tanah Toraja is in a class to itself -- fascinating culture, sophisticated arts in a profoundly beautiful environment.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 07:45 AM

Thank you, marmot, for all the wonderful information. Sulawesi sounds fascinating, but a little harder to get to than some of the other Indonesian islands, such as Bali and Java. However, it sounds like it will be worth it.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 02:37 PM

Coincidentally I had dinner last night with some friends from Padang, Sumatra. They said the best place to visit was Bukittinggi, especially the lake region of the Minangkabau highlands.

Bali, Lombok and Java definitely have the most developed tourism infrastructure, for better or worse. It's possible in all three, however, to find areas and villages undisturbed by modern culture.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 11:01 AM

Marmot, how thoughtful for you to inquire about Sumatra. Your posts are always informative and delightful.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 11:06 PM

Not to be missed is the Mentawai Islands off the west coast of Sumatra, off Padang .A premier Surf destination,very popular with big wave aficionados.Even if you enjoy watching the surf,take a break in one of these resorts.

http://www.kanduivillas.com/

http://www.aloitaresort.com/

http://www.mentawaisurfingretreat.com

Would like to do Kerinci Seblat National Park from Padang in the near future.Welcome any form information.

OP ,please do provide all possible information on that part of indo, like accessibility, logistics of travel,people,culture, resorts/hotels/B&B,Inns,food, restaurants,beaches and more (preferably with web links) that you have experienced. It would be of great help to fodorites who intend to travel or plan to re-visit.