Search

Suitcase or backpack?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suitcase or backpack?

Hi all,

I plan on getting the 7 day JR rail pass...we're going to be traveling ourselves without a tour. Is it easier to travel with a backpack or would a medium size suitcase be ok? We'll probably be staying a few days in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. I just don't want to be carrying all that luggage around if the trains are crowded, etc. But the cons of carrying a backpack is there won't be much space if I end up shopping a lot!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM

If by suitcase you mean a carry-on sized bag with wheels, go with that.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Yes, by suitcase I mean the ones with the wheels... or should I go with the backpacker backpacks since we'll be on/off trains a lot.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM

It depends on how much clothing you are bringing and how much loot you plan on bringing back. Ideally you want to travel on the trains somewhat light.

Generally, the overhead racks on the shinkansen hold carry-on sized luggage. Anything larger has to fit behind the last row of seats on the car. You may or may not be comfortable doing that. Also, some of the train stations have quite a few stairs so I would try to avoid having alot of luggage or huge pieces of luggage to drag around.

You might consider carrying all your clothes in a carry-on sized backpack/travelpack and also bring a carry-on sized wheeled luggage for your purchases. That way, everything fits on the overhead racks, and is not too cumbersome to lug around. If you are buying something somewhat fragile, you'll want something hardside to carry it in to protect it on the trip home and your backpack might not be sturdy enough.

Also, you might want to try using a takuhaibin service to deliver your luggage from one hotel to another, but you'll have to factor in scheduling to do that.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Hi, I'm also interested in this aswell! How much does the takuhaibin cost (for instance Tokyo to Kyoto)?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Price of shipping within Japan depends on the size of the item and distance...a medium suitcase is between ¥1500 and ¥2000 from Kanazawa to one of the international airports. It usually takes an overnight.

Suitcases with wheels are easier than backpacks in crowded stations I think. And, backpacks are quite unusual, so if you prefer not to stand out too much a suitcase attracts less attention...not that you won't stand out anyway, but the backpack just adds another element of something to stare at. Also, depending on where you stay, you might find a backpack is a bit too casual...Japanese, especially in cities, are quite dressed and put together with a lot of emphasis on looks, the right brand and such.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Here is some info on sending your luggage ahead of you, which is what I do. We usually travel with only a carry on but have brought as many as 4 bags on the trains

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

This one shows you where you can stow luggage on trains and in stations

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Aloha!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:17 AM

I'm a suitcase person. I stopped using backpacks the day the bottom fell out of one and all of my stuff ended up on the streets in Brussels. Smiles. I used to take trains for 11 weeks of traveling and back before suitcases had wheels when I had to take a separate travel luggage cart along with the suitcase. So, now with the wheels, I wouldn't think of straining my back with a backpack. I highly favor the Kipling, medium-sized suitcase. I've been buying them for decades...worth every dime. They roll easily, come in bright colors so you can find the suitcase easily and are European made/designed...Belgium. They know how to make luggage for travel situations other than airport ones. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:34 AM
emd

I recently made a small investment and got two suitcases w/4 wheels instead of two. Used the larger one on a recent trip to Mexico. I wish I had had them on my trips to Japan. It is SO much easier to navigate airports and stations and everywhere else w/a suitcase on 4 wheels. And it completely takes the strain off your lower back and arms that a two wheeled suitcase causes. You just rool it along straight on the ground w/the handle instead of leaning the weight on your arm and back. I was able to pick these up at Tuesday Morning, brand is Olympia, 20 yr ltd warranty, and they retailed for $250 and $300 but I got them for $59 and $69. I've seen this brand at TJ Maxx and those kinds of stores also.

Of course, you still have to carry the darned thing on the stairs. There's the rub.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM

I have a wonderful carry on size bright yellow Swiss Army rolling suitcase that also has straps so it converts to a pack. It has come in very handy in Italy, Croatia and other countries that have cobble stoned sidewalks or many many stairs.

I love it!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM

You are better off with the suitcase, as described, than the backpack.

The JR stations and trains that travel between cities are usually not that crowded. Not as crowded as the subways can be, but when taking those you usually won't be hauling your bag. There are storage racks onboard.

I took a backpack with wheels on my first visit to Japan. Figured I would roll the thing around the airport and train station and carry it in the city or over rough ground. But I only carried it on my back one time and didn't really need to do it then.

The bag needs to have a handle on top so that you can carry it on stairs in the train stations. There are escalators up to the shinkansen platforms, but you'd carry your bag down from the platforms.

There very likely won't be any extended walking that you would do that would require carrying the bag on your back.

Carrying a backpack on the trains would be a pain as you would be taking it on and off. On board the train there is no benefit to the backpack. You'd either stow it like a suitcase or wear it on your back. Besides the effort required to carry it on your back it you would also be a bit more clumsy that way if the train was crowded. For example, if you put your bag between your feet then you hardly take up any more space than if you had no bag at all.

I recommend getting a small vinyl duffel bag that folds up to a compact size. To make room in your suitcase for your precious purchases put your dirty clothes in the duffel.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM

Summing it up: the stations and platforms are not so crowded that rolling a suitcase is a problem. It is commonly done. If the train is crowded then you would be more of a hazard with a backpack.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM

Also, one can sit on a suitcase if a seat is needed somewhere which comes in handy. I've done it many times.
Oh, someone mentioned Swiss Army luggage. If you're in the U.S., go to T.J.Maxx to buy it, there's usually tons of it and at half price every day. For luggage in general go to T.J. Maxx. I bought my Tumi there for less than half the price of the luggage stores. I love luggage and have different brands/styles. I live in L.A. area and there are T.J.maxx stores all over. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:59 PM

I traveled all through Europe with a backpack and it was fine. However, one thing I got really tired off is packing and repacking stuff, since you would need to take everything out to reach anything half-way down or at the bottom of your backpack. If you are changing locations often, it's a hassle in my opinion. Not to mention, it does strain your back after you pack all your purchases in there

I second the TJ Maxx recommendations. A couple friends have gotten great finds there. I recommend expandable suitcases with thicker zippers, which are less likely to rip. I've also had luck getting great deals on luggage at local Ross stores (in Los Angeles at least). They have a great selection.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM

I am a backpack fan. But if you do go that way look for a travel pack. They have the zipper that goes all the way around so you get rid of the very real frustration smartcookie talks about in having to dive deep into the pack for an item. With a travel pack you have the same access as a suitcase.
Happy travels
J
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies... sounds like rolling suitcase is no problem in Japan!