Staying Connected In Sri Lanka and India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed to Sri Lanka for one week, and South India for two weeks, this September. I am concerned about a cell phone strategy.

We have a T mobile business account, and I have previously enjoyed the use of free texting and wifi in many countries, and I have found out that I can use it in both countries on this trip. However, phone calls cost $2 per minute. In the past, I simply avoided making calls to my family until I could use wifi calling in my hotel. This time, I will have a driver almost the entire trip, and I am worried about the times that he will want to tell me that he has moved the car, for example.

I am wondering what I should do. My tech savvy well-traveled older son said, "Get a SIM card, I'm sure they're dirt cheap in India." I cringe at the idea of having to switch the SIM card in and out of my phone, should I want to use T mobile. Another alternative would be to rent a phone, or perhaps just text with the drivers, and ask them to call me in emergencies only.

If you suggest renting a phone, I am sure Tim at Indian Panorama can handle the details for me. But the driver I have in Sri Lanka is a very small agency, so I'm not sure that he would be able to handle it as easily for me.

What do you think? BTW, if you have experience in one country or another, please chime in anyway, and we can jump back and forth.

Thank you, as always, in advance.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 08:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy a cheap phone & sim on arrival, use it in SL & India and on other travels in future with new sims in other countries when you travel. I've done just that with a phone I bought in India years ago and it's saved me a fortune, compared to using my US phone.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 08:35 PM

I have heard from some friends who traveled to India that sometimes, if needed, the tour company/driver can provide you with a phone to use just for the time you are with them.

Maybe you can ask your tour company contact what option you have. It should be free, I think.

Hope they have a suggestion or an alternative too and maybe it will be an easy one and not even cost you anything.

So reach out and just ask if they can provide you a phone that can be used to be in touch with the driver etc.

Enjoy planning your trip and do let us know your experience.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 09:18 PM

Agreed for both SL and India. So easy and so very cheap to buy separate SIM cards at the airport in each destination. SL's data plans can be a bit slower (3G vs 4G in India) but still not slow by any means and very much the most economical and affordable way to stay connected on the road.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:58 PM

I have a friend visiting from the USA and he has a T/Mobile (USA) sim which allows unlimited data roaming and local calling in Sri Lanka so do check with T'Mobil before leaving he US on available packages.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, MmePerdu, ileen, filmwill, and Mohammed. I'll check with Tim at Indian Panorama first, as I believed he said in passsing something about renting a phone for me. And I'll also check with my Sri Lanka driver.

My flight into Colombo arrives at 11 PM--I'm wondering if I can get a SIM card at that hour at the airport. In any case, I do have a few old working phones around, and I may bring the best one along, and get a SIM card for it. Thanks, MmePerdu for the idea.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Information about dialog Sim at Colombo airport.....

https://www.dialog.lk/tourist-plans
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 01:39 PM

I've done it all the above accurately suggested methods.

If you are using the phone mainly to keep in touch locally with your driver, the staff will have a phone waiting for you on your arrival. Just let Tim know--he'll get it taken care of via the appropriate person. You can borrow/use during your two weeks there. You just return it to the driver when you bid farewell at the end of your time with him. The other advantage is that the tour mgr for the area you are in will call you o that number to check on how you are doing. (If you don't have the phone, no problem--they will check in with you via the driver's phone.)
The tour executive who meets you at the airport will hand over your borrowed phone along with your itinerary and voucher packet. If you need to, ask for help entereing the numbers (the driver, the local office ) This is what I did the last two trips.

I've also used cheap phone/sim card method. However, the last time I did this, it had gotten more complicated, something about the phone companies and a 24 hour delay, vs the good ol' days when you could just walk into a shop or stop at a stand and buy it on the spot. Anyone here done it lately?

I'd suggest going with the borrowed phone for in-India local calls , PLUS downloading WhatsApp or Viber and making sure anyone you want to communicate with back home (hubby, son) has the app also. Tech-savvy son can help you with it, if necessary!! You use it wherever there is wifi--which is commonly seen in most of India.

Finally, my fellow(less) Calif woman, try to not worry! I know, I know...easier said than done. You'll be amazed, as I always have been, by the drivers, who seem to have a sixth sense, or eyes in the back of their heads, for knowing when you'll need them and where yo are. Often, the driver will stay parked in the same spot the entire time you go off shopping, eating walking etc, so you know exactly where to find them on your return.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Oops--fellowESS California woman!!

Your going to have a great trip!! I'd better add Sri Lanka to "the list" and take advantage of all I've learned from Fodorites due to your enquiries.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 01:54 PM

That makes 3 of us (no less).
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Mohammed - Thanks for the tip about dialog SIM. I'll ask my Sri Lanka driver soon what he suggests doing.

CaliNurse - It's great to hear from you, thanks. You are echoing my concerns about self-managing a phone. It sounds easier to get a phone from Tim, but a pain to carry around two phones. Yes, the drivers we had in Northern India were fabulous--it was perhaps the only trip I had been on where absolutely nothing went wrong. Thanks again for all your help and inspiration for this trip.

MmePerdu - Well, technically, you and CaliNurse are Northern California ladies, I believe? I always enjoy your posts, you are an intrepid traveler.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Intrepid - I like that! Thanks. I think these things can be genetic.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 06:21 PM

Here's what we do. Get. A cheap local sim with a data plan. Use it on hotspot mode to provide internet to our main phones when needed, so we can continue to use Whatsapp and email.

It's cheap and simple. Helps to have an extra phone too. On the downside you have to carry yet another charging cable :/
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, theloststory. I never presented an "epilogue" here after I contacted both of my drivers...

India:
Tim at Indian Panorama said that a cell phone loaner is free (thanks CaliNurse for the tip).

Sri Lanka:
My driver told me he has an extra phone he will loan me, also for free.

I have T Mobile, so I'll use my own phone for texting and the web, but not for calls, which cost $2 per minute internationally. Yes, that's quite a bit of electronic paraphernalia to carry around, but that's the way of the world now.
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Would be nice if ou can get local phones with da5a plans. Sometimes roaming data does the work as well.
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Greetings my co-California and co-lady!!

My goodness, it's close now!! I'm vicariously excited with anticipation for you!!

All should be fine with getting your local mobile phone...i've never had a problem doing it this way with Indianpanorama. Perhaps have the tour executive at the airport enter relevant numbers (like your driver's) )into the "contacts" list, and practice a few times if, in this time of smartphones, you've forgot how to use the simpler " stupid" phones of yesteryear. I did!

Now...not to be alarmist, but are you absolutely 100% totally sure the text (no matter who originates it) and internet is included in your plan with T Mobile? Or do you pay extra for an international plan?
The reason I am asking is I had to pay extra--maybe $40/month?--on ATT to get the "included" texting on their "Passport" plan. Still, you've traveled out of the country often, so you are familiar with your carrier.

Apologies if this adds anxiety, but I'd hate for you to return home with unwelcome surprises on your bill. It happened once to me and was an extremely expensive lesson.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi CaliNurse,

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, the trip is just around the corner, but it's great that Tim at Indian Panorama has my back. This is the first time I have used a travel agency so extensively, and I must admit that it's marvelous.

Anyway, T mobile does indeed have free texting and wifi, but not calling internationally. I always check on the countries that I am visiting, just to make sure. The only place that I was blocked out of was Brunei--I remember the minute me and my driver drove across the border to Malaysia, the screen on my phone said, "T mobile welcomes you to Malaysia."

I can't thank you enough for sending Tim my way. BTW, we dropped Pondicherry for the last two nights, and added Tiruvannamalai instead, which has an interesting Hindu temple.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 07:25 PM

CaLady - I haven't been following your plans and I'm sorry to see you won't be spending time in Pondi - a place I like very much. However, should you find yourself with even a couple of hours to spare while in the area, I heartily recommend asking your TA if they can arrange a brief tour of Auroville, just north of Pondi & inland a bit.

It's a remarkable community and architects have come from all over the world to design buildings for them including houses dotted all around the site. If it might interest you I suggest googling for information and looking at the photos, too, on google. I was lucky enough to spend a few days there over Christmas one year, taken in & entertained by a European family who live there. Quite an experience.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

MmePerdu--You sure do get around! I did indeed look into Pondi and Auroville, but I have been to so many colonial cities around the world, that I asked Tim for an alternative suggestion, and he came up with Tiruvannamali. It is supposed to be a beautiful area.

In any case, it's nice of you to think of me.

My itinerary looks like this now, at least for the India portion of my trip:

Cochin - two nights
Alleppey - two nights
Madurai - three nights
Chettinad - two nights
Tanjore - two nights
Tirvannamalai - two nights
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 08:05 PM

There's nothing colonial about Auroville and you'll be so close. Keep it in mind. One of the best things about Indian travel agents is that they'll accommodate changes & additions along the way. So I still recommend Auroville without Pondi. It's an ongoing experiment in community living and a fairly upscale one at that. Even for a drive around the various neighborhoods to see the beautiful houses that have been sponsored by residents, then left to the community when they move on. I could very well imagine living there for a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -