Starting again

Feb 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Starting again

Having tried to break away from England once already only to return a few years later with a very unexpected baby. After just over a year back in the familiar routine it has become obvious that we cannot possibly live like this and are now getting ready to try again. Naturally I am unable to take the same risks as I have previously indulged as family brings with it wicked responsibility, but I am unwilling to admit defeat. We expect to be ready within six months and should have around ten thousand pounds after travel expenses. Does anybody have any ideas whatsoever as to where we can go and what we can do to self sustain? Anything at all? We're desperate, pleeeeeeeeease help us.
Feb 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM

What are you asking? Ideas for places to live? or help with planning a trip?
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Take a look at this site: http://www.soultravelers3.com/
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Are you looking for a place to live forever??? Or just trying to escape for the short run?? More info please!!!
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Initially we are just looking for breathing space, ideally we would like to find a home but have no expectations of getting it right first time. Either way, my partner has overstayed her visa here and will not be allowed to re-enter for a year so we are looking at a minimum of a year after which we'll return to make some more money if absolutely necessary.
We are looking for ideas for places to stay and work, I have travelled India, South East Asia, South and East Africa before but am open to ideas anywhere in the world, just as long as my daughter is safe and happy and I get to see her more than I can now we will be happy.
Thankyou thursdaysd, I'll check out this site now.
Feb 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM

Unless you have technical or professional skills, working legally in most of these places will be very difficult. Think about what kinds of skills you have that may be in short supply in any of these places. You will also need to check visa regulations. In many places, the longest you can stay on a tourist visa is 90 days. In some places you can make a visa run and stay longer, other places have cracked down on this and only allow a limited number of renewals of visas before you must have an extended period out of the country.

What nationality is you partner? Can you get a visa to her country?
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM

Many foreigners get work/stay visas in Indonesia by teaching English at the ubiqitous English language schools. The main qualification is that you are a native English speaker.

If you are not actually married your partner wouldn't be covered by a family visa. I have no idea about your daughter.

Unless they are from one of the countries that doesn't require a visa (mostly Asian) they could come into Indonesia on a 30 day tourist visa, which theoretically can be extended to 60 days. I understand that it's fairly common, especially in Bali, to extend tourist visas "unofficially" by paying a fine, but you'd have to be willing to live with a good deal of uncertainty to take that route.

Could you three live for year on 10 thousand pounds in Indonesia, say in Java or Bali? Yes, as long as you figure out a way to get a stay visa.