Star Alliance Thailand Airpass

May 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Star Alliance Thailand Airpass

Now that I booked my flight to BKK, I'm going to ask a ton of questions on this site - please bear with me! I did a search on this forum re: Star Alliance Thailand Airpass and found a few old posts. On the Thai Air website a 3 flight coupon is $149 US. Has anyone ever purchased this? Seems like a really good rate.
May 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM

It depends on your route.
For example: If part of your plans includes getting from Chiang Mai down to Phuket or that area it is quite a good deal as otherwise the Chiang Mai-Phuket sector is quite expensive, the alternative is having to route via BKK and change flights.

On many sectors budget airlines operate, the budget airlines fares can be cheap but they are no frills, have a 15 kg ( strict ) baggage allowance, and if you get felays that's 'tough luck'.

Overall if you want reliable service and comfort Thai is still a great option, almost all flights are wide body airliners etc etc.

If you are on a tight budget then booking well ahead on the budget carriers can save a great deal but if you get unlucky with a delay or even cancelation it can seriously upset your vacation plans, and it could potentialy 'upset' the smooth relaxing flow of our trip.

USD 50 a sector is very reasonable and if you feel you can cope with the fare then you will enjoy Thai's service!

Tell us your routings and that very much helps.
May 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

My route will be Bangkok-Chiang Mai, then Chiang Mai-Phuket, then Phuket-Bangkok. So, a pretty standard route for a first timer to Thailand. Is $50 US per person per flight a good price?
May 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM

It has now gone up somewhat. For the minimum of 3 coupons it is now $169us plus around $11 in taxes for each flight. This works out to be about $67 per flight. No savings from the regular fare on the Bangkok to Chiang Mai route but quite a saving if flying Chiang Mai to Phuket ($128 vs $69). Small savings on some of their other routes.

May 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM

It's a very good deal. At $200, instead of $67 per segment look at it as $50 for each of the two BKK segments and $100 for CM to Phuket. That's on a world class airline. If you are a Star Alliance Gold frequent flier then you can enjoy the benefits of that status when flying Thai.
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM

on this airpass, children under 12 get 50% off !!! this makes a big difference when comparing to the low cost airlines.