Sri Lanta resort-Koh Lanta

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sri Lanta resort-Koh Lanta

has anyone stayed here? If so, what is it like? Weare thinking of going ehre for our honeymoon-good idea?
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:44 AM

i-escape.com has some good information and pictures about Sri Lanta
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Firstly time of year is important, November to end April is good weather but May to October is monsoon/rainy season. It is a long time since I was there and only went thru the Sri Lanta,
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

It looks like a great place on the internet, but you never know... AND as it is my honeymoon it would be relaly god to get some feedback from someone who has stayed there??
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Jo, I too was very taken by the website as SriLanta appears to offer exactly what my girlfriend and I were looking for. My traveller days are also behind me but I still wanted the fairly simple beach-hut set-up, except this time with the luxurius twist of hot water and a/c! It's quite well priced for what seems to me a boutiquey-type of resort. We're booked into a veranda room for 10 days over new year and are both seriously excited!! I'm cetain the service/hospitality will be great and I'm particularly taken by their sweet references to creating a zen-like atmosphere. Let's see! Good luck in making your decision
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Rowls-

Please report back on your stay at Sri Lanta!

Thanks
Cruisinred
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:14 AM

Will do Cruisinred, although I doubt I'll have time when I'm there between my sleeping, resting, bathing and generally horizontal living!?!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM

All those interested in Sri Lanta. I just returned home after a very special 11 night stay there.

Unlike the chaos of some of the other islands/beaches of Samui, Phuket, Krabi, etc.. We found that Sri Lanta was a great boutique retreat. As with most islands in Thailand now, don't expect Koh Lanta to be a secluded paradise, but at least at this resort you're away from most other hotels/guest cottages on the island on a fairly private stretch of beach. This does mean that there are only a few restaurants within walking distance but that's fine, they're still very sweet. The hotel restaurant is cool, and the menu keeps you happy for quite a few meals. The staff are lovely but you need to be patient with the girls in the restaurant, their English isn't great!

The cottage/room was pretty simple with no unnecessary luxuries but still design conscious and we loved it! For me it was especially great to get away from TV and all those trappings. We took a verranda room but didn't really use the verranda much. The Star Path rooms are at the top of the hill (a bit of a hike I'd say) and have a better view. Be prepared for a very simple bathroom setup as well, dissapointingly low lighting and a back to basics semi-outdoor shower, not ideal to be honest. We weren't too phased having lost our inhibitions after a day or so of chilling out, but it might bother the more fastidious.

Our fellow guests included some couples, a few young Euro families with pretty quiet/well behaved kids (wish my parents took me somewhere like this when I was young!), as well as a few small groups. Basicly the type of people you'd expect to be taken by the website! Almost all keep themselves to themselves and are clearly there to escape their respective rat-races. Most, like us, heading to bed reasonably early so as to start the sun-bathing or activities early. If you're after a party atmosphere, this 'aint it!

It's pretty hot both day and night so keep the clothes thin and light, quite a cool bunch of guests though so don't be afraid of packing some of your summer favourites.
All in all, I return to my crazy world feeling levelled, refreshed and most of all much calmer than when I left London. I think the website is very honest and true to the experience, so trust your instinct and if your taken by it, you won't be disappointed! Enjoy
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Very nice report, you captured the atmosphere. It is a while since I was there and I guess it is growing in popularity, you probably got there just in time.
Did you do any trips?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:52 AM

We were there at the end of December 2005 for 3 days. Here is our take. The facts appear to be the same as in the previous report, but clearly, the interpretations are entirely different.

Our introduction to the SL was blemished by the porters standing around watching us carry our own luggage. A couple offered to help after watching my wife and I for a bit.

Only a few staff spoke and understood English well, so this, too, was a problem. We noticed European and Asian couples use English as a "traveling language", so this is quite a deficit for an aspiring "resort".

Rooms are dank and dark. There are no screens/panes on some of the large windows, so these must be shuttered to keep the bugs out. If we could have opened the windows, some of the darkness might have been relieved. Housekeeping (cobwebs, dust) was uneven and we never had our soaps-shampoos replenished during our stay. The Star Path bungalows are beautiful, but a long, hard climb. Be young , very fit or never leave your bungalow.

The included American Breakfast was below average. Greasy, diner food. In addition, I had to set my own table at breakfast each morning, going to other tables to find napkins, sugar, salt/pepper, etc. I tried asking a waitress for these items on day one, but gave up and fetched them myself. A sign of poor training.

We had one horrible dinner there. We began with the shrimp cocktail. This comprised 5/6 tiny shrimp served with a ghastly mixture of mayonaise and catsup. Our entrees were served cold and were inedible. We had pineapple fried rice (the worst I've ever had) and a fish dish which was a fair imitation of Van Camps frozen fish sticks but not as tasty.

We went out for our other two dinners. These were at the Lanta Seafood Restaurant at Saladan Pier (excellent sea food) and the Blue Moon, about 1 klick from the Sri Lanta. This was a very funky experience. We were the only patrons not high on booze and/or weed. Good, cheap food.

The front office staff was very attentive, polite and sweet. The were helpful in making our stay tolerable. We seriously considered leaving after the first day and losing our pre-paid fees, but their helpfulness in finding solutions to problems convinced us to stay.

High points: massage-spa was excellent, but closed at 1700. Appointments are a must, especially if you go on an all-day snorkeling trip. Very good beach with few intrusions. Warm water, great early morning runs on the sand. Good Yoga instructor.

I loved the staff here, but would never stay here again, sad to say. To quote an anonymous fellow traveler, first world prices for the almost 3rd world accomodations. This is a solid, 2-star hotel.

SL would be average at 2000 Baht/night, but is outrageous and a poor choice at current prices of 4500 Baht/night.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:37 PM

I stayed there for three days about two years ago. It took about three hours to get there by van from Krabi Airport. I liked it and it was very remote. But I think it was maybe 3,000 Baht?

You can rent a boat to Phi Phi very cheap from the harbor. And you can see Phi Phi from your room. Its actually better to go to Phi Phi from Lanta than from Phuket.

The beach is not crowded, and you can arrange a private dinner on the beach.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Jo - can't comment on the Sri Lanta resort, but I did go to Koh Lanta for 10 nights of our honeymoon last December (also 5 days at Rayavadee in Krabi and 2 at the Penn in Bangkok). We stayed at the Pimalai resort - and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is FABULOUS. Search under this forum and you will find great reviews for it. Beautiful setting, 5 star accommodation (and they have just opened a number of new pool villas) and terrific food and beaches. Happy to answer any specific questions you have but do see www.pimalai.com. Hope that's useful!