Reload this Page >

Hong Kong in a Day

Search

Hong Kong in a Day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Justin

Hong Kong in a Day

I will be in Hong Kong for a full day (very long layover) in early July and wondered if anyone can suggest an itinerary. Please include suggested sights, restaurants and shopping venues (on this, any specific shops or areas to shop would be appreciated). Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:18 AM
dave

Hey Cousin!<BR>How random.<BR>I was just in HK, so I can actually help you out!<BR>The good news is I found so little to do in HK that you can see most of it in one day. If you want to shop, every luxury (and other) brand has at least one boutique there, many have more (ie two Longchamps in the same mall???) But we'll do sights first, then a famously good chinese restaurant that specializes in goose but makes everything well, then shops. The only absolute must is going to the top of Victoria Peak. I assume you aren't bothering with a hotel, so you can get there fastest by taking the train from the airport to Hong Kong Station, or doing everyone's favorite, riding the Star Ferry from Kowloon to Central by taking the airport train to Kowloon and walking to the Star Ferry terminal. For $.28 you get a 5 minute view of it all on the ferry, and it's breathtaking. It's a 10 minute walk to the Victoria Peak tram. The observation deck has a great view of the Harbor and HK in general. There's also a good walk to take around the top of the Peak, takes 1 hour to complete and gives you great views of the island and Kowloon. You know what...I don't have my journal or guidebook here with me, but I'm going to write you back later so I can tell you the other things to see that I've forgotten and be more specific about the names of the places I do remember. Talk to you soon.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Connie

Consider taking a bus or taxi up to Victoria Peak and the tram back down. You will see so much more on the drive than on the tram.<BR><BR>The train from the airport into town will take about 45 each way so figure that into your time allowed for sightseeing. The airport is quite a good distance from downtown HK.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:23 PM
jon

Justin<BR>Its the first time I've ever heard anyone saying there is little to do in Hong Kong! sorry I can't help as I'm also going in July(first time). You need an itinery from some experienced travellers , but failing that, get a map of the area and do a search on this forum( amongst others)- there are loads of possibilities.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Hong Kong

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years. There are just too many things to do for not much money. But what you can do realy depends on what time of the day you are there. Night life is totally different from day life. <BR>I would suggest you to take the Airport Express to Central - the last stop. Some people suggested you to go to the peak from there. This is an activity that is good for both day and night. There is a boat shape mall which has all kinds of restaurant and shops. Prices are high there - for the view, ang the food are not the best in HK - but good enough - HK is the paradise of eaters. <BR>Or you can take Star Ferry like someone suggested to go to Kowloon. Once you are there, you are surrounded by Chinese - food, shopping, ... whatever you want. If you go there in the evening or at night, I would definitely suggest you to go to the top floor bar Felix in the Peninsula (this hotel is really close to the ferry - everyone knows). The drinks there are about US$10/glass. (You can have just one drink, right?) But the view and the bar is defintely the experience you will never forget. <BR>Something else you can do if you don't take the ferry to Kowloon - take a bus from Central to Stanley. There is a market. You can buy all kinds of cool traditional Chinese stuff for relatively low prices. The bus ride is probably one of the nicest in Hong Kong. And in Stanley, there are nice ocean front restaurants and bars for both Chinese and westerners. <BR>The trip to the peak and to Stanley need half a day each at least. Make sure you have enough time.<BR>Finally, there is mall I want to mention - Pacific Place. When you get to Central, don't come out of the station, take the subway to the next station - Admiral, take the exit Pacific Place. There are all kinds of shops and restaurants (again). Every restaurant is guaranteed good!Have fun!