South Africans ready for Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well only four days left before we arrive in Thailand. Before I go I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for all their travel reviews. Although I never actually requested information - I did not need to. I have read every travel review on Fodor's from May 2006 until today about Travel in Thailand.

The information has certainly saved me a lot of time and money.

I feel like I know everyone who contributes to this site and I think it is time I give some information back.

I promise to give you the low down on all the tips I took from this website.

I am staying a very cheap hotel (hope it is not nasty cheap) and will report in detail so as to help other budget travellers.

Thanks to one of the treads (think this is the buzz word..) I worked out MYSELF how to book an overnight train from Bangkok to Chaing Mai. Sleeping on the train saves you one nights accommodation. When you are travelling on South African Rand - everything has to be budget!

I read Katies review on the Flower show and have pre-booked my tickets. I am also going for a Thai cooking lesson - thanks to whoever gave the feedback on the cooking lesson - really looking forward to it.

I feel I am now "street wise" to venture around Thailand and know that I have got the best deals on everything.

I am flying on Eithiad Airway (National carrier for the United Arab Emirates) and they were R 5000.00 cheaper per person compared to any other airline from South Africa to Thailand. I only hope I am not sitting next to a camel on the plane!

I even read some tips on what are good gifts to take to Thailand and have these packed and we are now good to go.

Once again a huge thank you for the most fabulous website and I hope I will not bore you all with my report when I return but thanks to all your juicy reports I have planned a stunning holiday.

Visit South Africa - it will be really cheap for all of you. Soccer World Cup will be hosted in South Africa in 2010 - book your tickets now!

ALL MY WILD PASSIONATE LOVE
Jenny - Johannesburg - South Africa
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Have a wonderful trip! I look forward to your report.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM

You will have a wonderful time.

It's been a year since we were there and I miss Thailand so much.

Eagerly awaiting your report.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM
pat

Don`t want you to be disappointed, but I just did the overnight train, only from Chaing Mai to Bangkok. It got dark early, so there was nothing to see. The train itself was dirty, especially the bathroom. There was a western toilet and an eastern style toilet on at the end of each car. We were told not to drink the fruit juice on the train, as it might not be safe. Didn`t go to the dining car, but brought our own food. We did sleep pretty well, and the sheets were clean. We went to bed at 8pm, as there was really nothing to do. Some people I saw played cards. So the train was a disappointment to me.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Have a great trip Jenny! I look forward to your trip report, especially since it sounds like you're doing some places different than the "standards" recommended here.

Keep notes, keep your humor, and remember, even the worst experiences make the best stories later!!

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM

You will definitely have a fabulous time in Thailand even if the hotel turns out to be a fleabag. Trust me, I've stayed in plenty of fleabags in SE Asia and Africa. I didn't always stay in 5-stars and still stay in a few fleabags every now and then. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Etihad will be just fine! Good seatback TV's, once you get into Abu Dhabi it is from there to Bangkok roughly 5hrs45 to 6 hrs so shorter than your JNB to Abu Dhabi sector. Food and service you should enjoy.

When taking the train to Chiang Mai 'ensure' you book a lower berth. if you have done any slepperstrains in SA say how long back and maybe I can help you relate what to expect, not like the trains of long way back but 2nd class a/c on Thai railways is fine, I agree take some snacks along yourself and drinks etc.

If you are paying anything more than about ZAR 110/120 for accom you should get air-con and own shower etc, spend ZAR 200 a night and you will be well comfy!
years ago stayed at SK House in Chiang Mai and that still these days is around the ZAR 120-150 range, if you need ideas Tangata is in Chiang mai and knows some budget places I think.

What's your local dorp Jenny?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Unfortunately with the Royal Floral Festival on accommodation is very heavily booked at the moment, I believe even the cheaper Guest Houses are booked up.

The Huay Kaew Residence http://www.huaykaewresidence.com/index.html offers daily and long term accommodation from 500 Baht a day, about 100 Rand. We booked friends in there for a three month stay and they loved it.

On Monday we are off to Hong Kong for Christmas, returning on the 27th so our paths may not cross.

I hope that you enjoy Chiang Mai, despite the congestion resulting from the Flora exhibition.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

HI James. My local dorp in Sunny South Africa is Randburg in Johannesburg. Thanks for all the last tips and suggestions. I am pleased to confirm that I book my accommodation in July for Chaing Mai so the Flower Show is not affecting any of my bookings as these were done months ago. I have booked a 1st class room the train. I am hoping this will be a litte better than a 2nd class tickets with a decent toilet!