Some questions about Taipei.

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions about Taipei.

I will visit Taipei for the first time later this month. I will have a day and a half in the city. I would like to see Taipei 101, the Cheng Kai Shek Memorial and the National Museam. (Are there any other tourist attractions worth visiting?) Do I have enough time to do this? How can I get around using public transport? Is it safe to travel by taxi? I will be staying at the Grand Hotel. I do not speak Mandarin and I will be travelling alone.

Finally, which, if any, of the night markets are worth doing. Since I will be in Taipei for only one night, and I will be recovering from jet lag off a transpacfic flight, I am not sure if I will go to the night markets. I have seen nights markets in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok on previous trips to Asia. Are the night markets in Taipei any different?

Thanks in advance?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

One more question...Where's a good place to buy souvenirs in Taipei, i am looking for postcards, key chains and magnets.

Also, is it possible to buy marble carvings? If so, where should I go?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM

It is certainly safe to travel by taxi. That's what I did when I was there. Very few people speak English, so you'll need your hotel to write down where you want to go for your taxi drivers. Of course, you'll always want to carry a hotel card to show the driver to take you back to your hotel.

I don't know whether you will ba able to fit all of that into a day and a half when you are recovering from jetlag or not. The most importamt thing to see IMO is the National Museum. I spent a total of a full day there in two half day chunks. They have a nice gift shop where you can buy the kind of souviners you are looking for.

I don't remember seeing marble carvings. I did buy some small jade carvings at the jade market.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
GerdaFaust

There's a well-known Confucian temple that is worth a visit... I think it's called something like "Lungshan" (sorry - I was there 25 years ago!).

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
GerdaFaust

Sorry- not Confucian, but that's the name of it.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Yes Lung Shan is a very old and famous temple, there is an MRT station nearby and a couple of blocks away is "Snake Alley" beside a popular night market.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Taiwan/Taiwan.htm
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I would first focus on National Museum. Public transportation is a bit awkward (tube and a bus), so I took a taxi from the hotel. Make sure you start early--the place tends to attract MANY tour groups. Totally agree with Kathie on the time needed (don't miss the jade carvings) and the gift shop.

Both museum and CKS memorial is north of downtown, which is in the same direction as your hotel. I believe there is a shuttle bus connecting the hotel to the nearest tube (MTR) station.

The most famous night market is Shilin Market. It's mostly street food galore (unless I missed shopping areas...) It is easily reachable on tube but the connection from Grand Hotel won't be that great, so you should arrange a taxi driver to pick you up on the way back.

Public transportation--tube--is quite good in central Taipei. The only confusing bit was there were many exits. Streets are in grid style.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I am not a museam person, intially I hadn't planned on spending much time at the Museam. I have read lots of good things about the National Museam and I definately plan on spending more time there.