So Many Places to Snorkel in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already asked one question but about Similian Islands. Thanks for the answer.I am planning to take "fast boat" from Phuket 1 day for snorkeling and 1 day on "fast boat" to Phi Phi.Is there any good reason in terms of 1st class snorkeling to stay in Ko Samui as well for 2-3 days? Also, 4-5 star resort on Ko Samui that is $200/day for ocean view room with A/C?

Is their coral bleaching or are 90% of reefs healthy with colorful coral and wide variety of fish? Immediately around Phuket we were disappointed withthe snorkeling.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Let me know how it is in Phi Phi. Just like you I was disappointed around Phuket. Do you time to go to Bali? The islands east of Bali around Komodo and Rinca is the best in the world, better than the Great Barrier Reef, in my opinion. You need to take a liveaboard, so it eliminates hordes of tourists. I had never seen so many variety of corals and giant clams with rainbow of colors, all healthy.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

We have been to Bali and found the snorkeling the only disappointment. The area was some of the most scenic, though. Ubad was very interesting.

We even took a flight to Lumback for what we heard was excellent snorkeling only to fing it fair to good.

I cannot comment on Phi Phi until we go to Thailand in late Feb, but am desperate to identify the best places to go.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM

If you are heading for Koh Samui and snorkeling is important you would probably be better off on nearby Koh Tao which is very much diving orientated, best place on Koh Tao is the Coral Grand Resort, they organise daily dives and have a whole diving set up there. Forget this area through Nov-Mar for diving, I forget which time of year you are planning? The Gulf side and the Andaman side have different weather patterns.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:04 PM

StanKase, for Indonesia you need to go to Nusa Tenggara, which is the islands east of Bali and Lombok. Around the island of Komodo and Rinca, where Komodo dragons live, are national park and UNESCO world heritage site. That's where you find a world class diving and snorkeling. Cold water from Australia and Indian ocean meet there, giving the area incredible variety of marine life. Nearby island of Banta recently became a national park also. You can do a day trip from nearby islands of Flores or Sumbawa, but they are not a practical proposition for a tourst. The easiest way is to take a eight to ten day liveaboard dive ship. The lack of easy access for mass tourism is keeping the reefs in these islands pristine. Nusa Tenggara islands are hard to get to, but you'll be rewarded with one of the best diving and snorkeling in the world. Forget about Lombok. It's not worth the bother.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:35 PM

We've taken a speed boat to Racha Yai from Phucket. Corals are stressed there from too many tourists, not from bleaching. Very disappointing. From that I conclude I have to go further out. So if one day "fast boat" from Phuket is to Racha Yai, snorkeling is about the same as you see in Hawaii nowadays - not much. The service on private boat was wonderful, and the beach beautiful, though.