Snorkeling in Borneo & Penang

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering how the snorkeling is on Borneo and Penang. Should I bother to pack my snorkel mask? Our tour company had mentioned it during an "island-hopping" tour outside Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, but that tour seems to have been dropped from the itinerary.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM

If the tour company removed the trip to the islands off of Kota Kinabalu (which has fabulous snorkeling, by all reports) I can't think of anywhere else near KK or near Penang where there is great snorkeling.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM

ida will carry a mask for both of you
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM

There's virtually no good diving along the west coast of Malaysia. There is a platform at Pulau Payer for day-trippers from Penang and Langkawi, but I hear it's not that good. It's also an all day trip from Penang, so it's probably not worth it unless you're really keen on diving.

If you're on a tour and they're taking you to a place that has snorkeling, chances are they'll provide you with a mask and snorkel. Most tour companies do.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM

We didn't do any snorkelling during our visit to K.K., but I am told that Manukan Island has clear water and abundant fish. I believe also that you can take snorkelling trips from Shangri-La Tanjung Aru in KK where speed boats operate to the Tunku Abdul Rahmen Marine Park.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM

We were in KK just recently and we really enjoyed the snorkelling off the beach at Manukan Island. We stayed at Sutera Harbour and you can book a trip at the Wharf that ajoins the resort. They supply good quality masks and fins. The coral is not bad but the variety of tropical fish is amazing.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM

No question, the islands off of KK have great snorkeling. But remember that karinkz is traveling with a tour and the tour company took that excursion off the itinerary.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, RHkkmk, Ida isn't going along--so I'm on my own re packing!

Although my tour company has taken that off their itinerary, I do have one free afternoon there. Would an afternoon be enough time to take a boat to Tanku Abdul Rahmen--or Manukan Island (or are they the same)? By the way, Shanek, we're also staying at the Sutera Harbor, so I appreciate the tip on where to book. Maybe I'll rely on their masks if I decide to book.