Smeagol & Muffin head off to Cambodia!

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smeagol & Muffin head off to Cambodia!

We are here in the lounge waiting for our flight to BKK. I had booked a separate ticket to PNH with a tightish connection but am glad to say Eva have checked our luggage all the way thru to PNH on Bangkok airways.

We start with3 day in phnom penh. 5 days in Siem reap, 4 days in Hua hin And our final 3 days in BKK.

During this trip we will have the pleasure of meeting up with Lori in Siem Reap, Bob and Karen in BKK and Pook and Dang in BKK, we are both really looking forward to meeting up with every one!!
I am hoping to keep in touch on the road, so will let you all know how we are getting on.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Have a great trip. Say hello to everyone from me and Beth.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Have a great trip, Nicky. Say hi to all from Jeane and I.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Bon voyage!! Have a great time.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM

bon voyage!!

see you soon
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Bon Voyage Nicky. Looking forward to seeing you and Muffin in Bangkok.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Have fun. We just left Siem Reap a couple of weeks ago. Tell Lori we say Hi!

Tell Bob & Karen that their house plants are going to die if they don't get home soon.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Smeagol, dear, safe travels, and I hope you and M have a lovely holiday. Give our love to all the Fodorites you meet along the way, please. Check in when you can, and we'll look forward to (ahem..) a trip report!

BC
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Have a swell time, Nicky! Another trip, another year without meeting up. One of these days our paths will cross somewhere in the world.

Glad to hear you've chosen EVA again. They're fantastic. Hope you enjoy the trip over (hopefully in Elite Class--otherwise Muffin won't be a happy camper on arrival!)

Can't wait to hear about your trip...
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all flight was great as ever (oh the joys of biz class )
Arrived on time and are now waiting in the Bangkok airways lounge for our flight to PP, which has been delayed for 1 hour. But no big deal we are on holiday!!!
FW one of these days our paths MUST cross.?
Fingers crossed the luggage arrives, we have already got our visas for Cambodia so am hoping we can be having cocktails in raffles in no time!

Tomorrow I have booked a guide to do a city tour and S21 and the killing fields! Not sure if I have Wifi included at raffles but I did download a wifi finder app so hopefully I can give an update from PP. If not I will catch up with you all from SR.

M and I are very excited to be back in SE Asia.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 03:47 AM

Have a wonderful time. Unfortunately, we will miss each other as well. Of course, there is always next year and perhaps the Love Boat...
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 04:57 AM

harnn is waiting for you
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Visitors! Yay! See you for dinner tomorrow. Phnom Penh must be nuts with Om Tok going on.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 07:41 PM

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Drat just lost my entire post...... At PP airport waiting for flight to SR. Lori PP WAS crazy OMG how did I miss that was going to be on during the planning stages????
Lori we are looking forward to dinner with you tonight, see you at 7.30
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM

On my way to Hong Kong and Macau sitting in the Emirates lounge and saw the news about some party that went wrong in Cambodia. Hope you and Muffin are not affected by this!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM

Very sorry to hear about the tragedy in Phnom Penh. I hope the extended Fodors family are all okay.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 12:17 AM

This year the guesthouse was too busy for any of us, including Ponheary and Dara, to travel to Phnom Penh for Om Tok and I'm saying we chose well! 4 million people in the city is about 2 million too many. Went a few years ago and I vowed never to return. Ground travel to and from is virtually impossible, moving through the streets is a nightmare and not all that safe, most everything is closed.

Really feel sick for the people who lost their lives and gor seriously injured in a fashion that would not have been pleasant. Really feel amazed at the thinking process of law enforcement that would shoot crowds with water cannons when they're on a swaying suspension bridge and already freaked out. Seriously stupid.

Smeagol/Muffin I was remiss in failing to bring the holiday up when we were chatting during your planning stage.

For the record the boat races (Om Tok) fall in November (usually) over the long weekend of the full moon. Locals from all over the neighboring provinces congregate in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh for the race. People should not be in PP during the boat races unless they have a room with a view, a good bottle of vodka & excellent room service.

Siem Reap's version sees a lot of visitors as well, and there's some mildly annoying traffic for a few days and the tuktuk drivers are mostly drunk, but otherwise it's a righteous 4 day street party that is well worth attending. (The groovy vibe will not last I fear.) A lot of places (restaurants, travel agencies, etc) are closed; Pub Street is unaffected for the most part. All banks, schools, etc are closed. The pagodas are alive with ceremonies, especially the night of the full moon and it's easy to be invited. It's a good time to be in town.

It was great to spend the evening with you guys. Thanks for the fabu drinks and dinner and especially for the supplies you schlepped in. All much needed and appreciated.

I'll be checking in to see how the rest of your trip goes. If I can assist while you're in town, you have my email.
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 05:58 AM

just heard from lori that nicky and david are safe in SR...
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -