Slow Boat travel Thailand to Luang Prabang Visa help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read your messages and it seems my husband and I need to get from Chiang Rai to Chaing Khong by bus. Then we need to get a Laos Visa. I am a little confused about obtaining the Visa.

July 3 Land in Chinag Rai morning
July 3-6 Chiang Rai
July 6 bus ride to Chiang Khong
July 6 obtain a Visa then cross the River to Houay Xai or Vice-versa?

July 6 is a Sunday. Will we have difficulty getting a Laotian Visa on Sunday? Spend teh night in Houay Xai. Do we cross the river then procede to immigration? I am confused about the Visa Process. We have obtain Visas in foreign countries before, but we were always in teh airport.

July 7-8 Mekong River cruise to Luang Prabang.

The cruise down the Mekong leaves on Monday or Friday. Monday works better in our trip.

This is the remainder of our itinerary

July 8-11 Luang Prabang
July 11-14 Siem REap
July 14-22 Ko Samui and Lo Tao
July 22-25 Bangkok
July 25 leave for home at 11:50 PM

We already have our frequent flyer tickets. I am in education so I must travel in July.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM

Hi, It sounds like you are going on the LuangSay - I would think you know about their website but just in case its http://www.asian-oasis.com

There is information about the visa process etc on this page
http://www.asian-oasis.com/LS_faqs.html

It takes about 1.5 hours from Chiang Rai with their transfers and they usually pick people up on the morning of departure - early - Don't know what it costs compared to the bus but obviously more! However I don't think there is much in the way of accommodation in either Chiang Khong or HousayXai - basic guesthouses only I believe. From past experience with Lao visas they will be open okay on the Sunday but you may have to pay a small fee for that day - use to be $1 but that may not apply anymore. It doesn't take long to get your visa.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:17 AM

I also presume you're using the Luang Say. I did this trip last year [but in reverse]

Karen in the Luang Prabang office can organise you a transfer from your hotel in Chiang Rai. About $45 from memory. Just do it. No gief. They'll get you thru all the stuff thats worrying you.

You'll exit Thailand on one side of the river [they'll stamp your passport] - then cross the river in a little boat [5 mins] then do your Lao visa on the other side. It's easy. They're used to dealing with tourists. You won't be the first one.

But just get the boat company transfer from Chiang Rai. All problems solved.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Mary W and Dogster,

Thank you for the information. Yes we want to go on the LuangSay. I thought we had to arrange for the Visas alone. I was concerned that we may get caught up in the Visa process and miss the boat.

I will e-mail the LuangSay. This means that we can stay in Chiang Rai another day
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Smart move.

You've picked the easiest, prettiest and best way to get from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang.

And then, at the end, you get to stay in lovely Luang Prabang.

What an excellent time you will have.
You'll find endless threads on this board if you need advice on hotels in L.P. Stay right in town - no further out than Maison Souvannapoum [which I personally recommend] Just make sure you arrange they pick you up at the landing area.

That way it'll be a gentle introduction to a gentle, gentle town.

Perfect.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Dogster,

I went to the link you posted for Luang Say FAQ. I thought I had checked that link, but obviously I didn't.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.