Skype WiFi phone

Search

Skype WiFi phone

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skype WiFi phone

We will be traveling in Nepal and India for a month in November. Has anyone had any experience with a Skype WiFi phone? We will be visiting Delhi, Jaipur, Udaipur, Agra, Varanasi, Orchha, Mumbai, Aurangabad, and Kochi as well as Kathmandu and would like to keep in touch by phone with our family.
Thanks for your comments.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM

Since I've been traveling, I've been using Skype as my way to contact the folks back home. Although I haven't used it in India (yet), I've found it quite easy to use elsewhere in Asia.

Ironically, the worst connection I've had was in Los Angeles, when I was testing it before I left.

One thing to note, however, is that I couldn't get the unlimited calling when I was calling from an overseas connection; but US 800 numbers are still free, so I've just refilled the calling card I purchased from Sam's Club and call home for about 3 cents a minute.

Jayna
travels at www.ususbaby.com
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jayna,
Do you use your Sam's phone card along with your Skype phone to call home or do you use the card at hotel and other pay phones? I am so not up on this stuff!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM

This might be of interest to you. I use the Belkin WiFi phone a lot in Thailand and the only problem I have is when I use it outside of my office or home. At most hotels with WiFi access you will need both the WiFi modem router access code or password as well as the hotel's internet password. Since most WiFi phone does not provide a built-in web browser for users to get past the authentication process that most hotels require in order to access their broadband internet service it might be better if you bring a long a "USB" plug in version of an internet phone instead. All you have to do after that is install the Skype software and dial.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:16 AM

No worries, rbphilly! I use the Sam's card with Skype...I had purchased the unlimited calling within the US/Canada, but Skype knows that I'm not calling FROM the US, so that's why I have to use the calling card. I think if I just bought a lot of Skype credit, it would actually be about the same cost as using my calling card.

So, basically, when I connect with Skype, I then dial my 800 calling card...
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:34 AM

Jayna,

I'm curious, since I have a WiFi phone, how you're able to access the internet from a internet cafe or hotel in Asia? Please share as it would save me a lot of money.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM

Sorry...just now reading the posts with a clearer head. I don't have a wifi phone...and originally thought rbphilly was asking about using Skype over wifi. (Doh!) I didn't even realize the Skype wifi mobiles you were talking about were actual phones, as I hadn't seen them on their site...so maybe my last few posts have been a bit useless! If so, sorry for my ignorance!

As far as connecting...I've got my laptop with me, so that means I don't have to worry about loading Skype onto others' computers...

As for getting around the authentication process, though, I'd suggest hanging around hostels and guesthouses to make calls (their wireless systems rarely require authentication).

(Again, sorry for misreading the previous posts!)
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I am still not sure if I want to purchase a Skype WiFi phone. The idea sure does appeal to me however. When we traveled in SE Asia we rented a phone from the US and incurred an enormous bill. I don't want to do that again. I wll need to do more research on the Skype.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM

A Skype WiFi phone might make sense in places where compatible WiFi is ubiquitous and cheap and regular phone calls are expensive. The situation in India is the reverse of that.

Just buy a local prepaid SIM and stick it in your cellphone (GSM 900/1800 unlocked). Local and international calls are ridiculously cheap. Last year, I bought an Airtel SIM for 500 rupees ($12 or so) and didn't need to recharge it in the two weeks I was there. Incoming calls are free. There are some complexities in buying a SIM in one state and using or recharging it in another that repay a bit of research. Just drill down on the airtel site for details.
http://www.airtel.in/level2_t11.aspx?path=1/6

There are several other suppliers, but Airtel worked for me in Mumbai, Pune, Panchgani, Aurangabad etc.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:43 PM

Another choice would be the IPhone. The phone is not on sale in Thailand yet but I understand that it has a browser as well as WiFi. Perhaps you can access Skype with it using the WiFi and it would be most useful since you'll have the normal phone function as well.

I would be most grateful if any body in the States can verify that the IPhone can do what I've described. As of this date nobody have been successful at unlocking(with full phone function) the Iphone yet so until then or until they start selling them abroad I can only guess.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM

You can run Skype on any PDA or high-end cellphone based on Windows Mobile (i.e., definitely *not* the Iphone). Just go to
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/mobile/
and download the version for your device. I use it on my Pocket PC without problems.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info someotherguy.