skip Beppu this time?

Search

skip Beppu this time?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skip Beppu this time?

I am planning my first trip to Japan and have the following tentative schedule. Would you tell me if it looks too rushed (ie cut out Beppu or something else)?

Day 1 Sunday early am arrival Tokyo
Day 2 Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo
Day 4 Tokyo train to Kanazawa
Day 5 Bus from Kanazawa via Ogimachi to Takayama
Day 6 Takayama (festival)
Day 7 Takayama (festival)
Day 8 Takayama train/ferry to Miyajima (festival) (late train or ferry to Beppu (does anyone know the schedule?) or stay on Miyajima?)
Day 9 Beppu
Day 10 Beppu train to Kyoto via Himeji
Day 11 Kyoto
Day 12 Kyoto
Day 13 Kyoto (Toji flea market) then train to Narita for 10 flight home.

I've costed out the JR passes and will probably get a 7 day one starting on day 8 (paying extra for the train Tokyo-Kanazawa).

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:06 AM

I'm biased, because I live there, but your short time in Kanazawa is too short I think. The train takes at least 4 hours from Tokyo, so there isn't a chance you'll be in Kanazawa before lunch time. I'd take a day from Takayama and add it to Kanazawa. Also, stop in Ogimachi/Shirakawa-go for 1/2 day to look around this lovely village. I like it far, far more than Takayama, which is a small city with some historical buildings.

The Takayama festival seems to be of great interest to you, but I really don't think it warrants 4 nights of your short trip. It's special, but not that special.

You might do better to start your JR pass on Day 4 - the train from Tokyo isn't cheap - and use it through Day 10, then pay for the train to Narita Airport with money. You'll be free to use the Nozomi shinkansens if you pay for it, which may be advantageous as there are more of them and they are just a tad faster. The Tokyo - Kanazawa and Kyoto - Narita tickets are around the same price, about 15,000 yen.

Miyajima, I would think, would be nice, especially with a festival going on. It really is a lovely island. There are several nice ryokan on Miyajima. You could spend part of a day at the Peace Park in Hiroshima.

Maybe I'd do
Day 1 Tokyo
Day 2 Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo
Day 4 Kanazawa
Day 5 Kanazawa
Day 6 Early bus to Takayama with stop in S-go on the way
Day 7 Takayama
Day 8 Train to Hiroshima, Peace park, Miyajima
Day 9 Miyajima for one more night, or depart Miyajima for Kyoto, stopping at Kurashiki or Himeji for sightseeing and one night
Day 10 Kyoto
Day 11 Kyoto
Day 12 Kyoto
Day 13 Kyoto to Narita

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again KimJapan for your sound advice.

I have 3 nights in Takayama since the hotel would only give me 3 nights or nothing (since it was festival time...)

So sad to drop Beppu!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Your original plan looks good to me. Kanazawa is a nice place to visit but you can spend more time there on your next trip. You have the opportunity and interest to attend the whole Takayama. The festival is only 3 days a year. Kanazawa can be visited any time. But if you are not really interested in spending all three nights in Takayama then why go (your last post makes it sound like you were forced to stay 3 nights)? OTOH, you do have the option of paying for three nights and staying for less.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

You're right MrWunrfl and I may just pay for Saturday and leave on the night train for Hiroshima (Fuji night which I'd pick up in Nagoya)...