Search

Singapore--3 Hotel Choices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore--3 Hotel Choices

Hello,

We only have one night in Singapore(arrive at 4pm and leave 1pm next day) and have choice of three hotels. Please let me know what you guys think:

1. Pan Pacific---Club level/Pacific Floor for S$260

2. Shangri-La--Reg Room w/breakfast S$249

3. Ritz Carlton--Reg*Non Marina View* room for S$250.

Intrigued by Shangri-La, but kinda like Club level at Pan Pacific too. Please chime in!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM

If you want to shop on Orchard road - then the Shangri La is the obvious choice. Reallly like a resort in the centre of the city and reckoned to be one of the world's very best hotels. Simply wonderful. Upgrades at check in are rarely free, but usually v cheap! All rooms in the hotel have recently been remodelled and refurbished

Ritz Carlton - very modern hotel, lots of modern art near to the pan pacific by Marina Square - which I believe is undergoing a bit of rejuvenation. Very impressive hotel - again one of the world's best, I just find it a bit more formal than the shangri la. Join the Shangri la's frequent traveller club (on line - free of charge) and you get perks WHENEVER you stay such as free continental breakfasts.

Pan Pacific is closer to a 4 star than a true 5 star like the other 2 hotels - but it is still a v good hotel. You will get your breakfast and free cocktails etc for this price though.

If it were my money I'd pick the Shangri La - but im a big fan of their hotels.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM

I just got back from Singapore....I've been there a lot... and it's unbelievable that they want $250. for a city view room...at the Ritz Carlton... I called AmExp Platinum and they booked a city view room for $160...just weeks ago... The Marina View rooms are fabulous...absolutely fabulous...If you're not going to opt for a standard room with a marina view, then choose another hotel.It's a bit formal at the Ritz..more fromal than the one in Kuala Lumpur.I was also shown club level and folks were quite dressed up while eating in the club level dining room.I can't remember where the Pan Pacific is so I can't comment on that one...but yes, the Shanri- La is in the midst of the Orchard Road shopping if that's what you're into. I prefer the Raffles shopping center and Arab street, the Chjmes complex(Peter Hoe boutique...check it out) and Little India for shopping...although Ngee Ann City mall on Orchard Road is great and also Tanglin Mall or shopping center can't remember which, but the one with the antiques and artifacts from Southeast Asia. If I were you I'd book a room at the Rendevous Hotel in the middle of everything and across the street from the Dhoby Gaut MRT subway station. Do go to the Asian Civilizations Museum. It's fabulous.Happy Travels!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:31 PM

We also paid $170 for a room on the club floor in August, which is a heavier travel season....be sure to check Travelocity as they are always listed there for less $$.
The club floor was worth it to us! In fact we requested connecting rooms and they messed up, so we ended up with the Presidential Suite (2 bedrooms and huge!) for $170 x 2 per night on the club floor. It IS a little formal there, I must say. I had to constantly keep my kids in check while eating, there were many serious business people doing serious business things in there so we had to whisper all the time. But it was such a great deal!
As a side note, on our way back (we stayed at the RC for 4 nights on the way to Bali) we needed just one night really more of a layover but with ample time to see more in the city. 2 days before, I was able to get the Mandarin for $75 per night per room. It was not the RC (especially not the beds they were HARD!) but very nice. In terms of value it was great, with attached shopping mall and food court (the indoor air conditioned kind).
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM

It looks to me like the prices being quoted are in SINGAPORE dollars - that makes quite a difference.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:22 PM

If you are considering the Shangri-La (and I certainly would, I've had great experiences at the SL and at the Traders which is owned by SL)you may benefit from joining their Frequent Traveler progam (Gold Circle).

In the past I've gotten free or VERY low cost upgrades to the club level floor via my Gold Circle membership benefits.