Cooking Class in Ubud, Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are three families travelling to Bali in June/July this year and I am wanting to book a cooking class in the Ubud area but ........ it has to be loads of fun and interactive as we have a few teenage boys who may be 'lost in translation' if the class is too serious.

Last year we did a cooking class in Tuscany which included 4 different courses one of which had us making pasta from scratch - the 'teacher' was light hearted and a laugh a minute and all the teenagers really enjoyed themselves. I am hoping to find a similar type class in Ubud. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 12:06 AM

That's a fun way to spend time in Bali. I don't know much about cooking class in Ubud, but you can try this one, warungenakbali.com. All the native cuisines and specialties will be discussed I suppose.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll have a look at their website and see what reviews I can find.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 11:50 PM

I can recommend the cooking classes run by Honeymoon Guesthouse/CasaLuna Restaurant. There are several to choose from & when I took the classes a few years ago, they were conducted in the gardens & pavilions of the Honeymoon Guesthouse. Lovely accommodation too
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks trotsky - sounds good
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:56 AM

I did the Lobong cooking class a couple years ago with my kids -- we all highly enjoyed it. The food was absolutely delicious! The experience includes a visit to a local market first. We are returning to Bali this summer, and my kids asked if we could repeat the cooking class, so I know they liked it -- they are still talking about the yummy black rice pudding in the banana leaf bowl. I wrote about my experience here -- http://bedford.patch.com/articles/co...oreign-culture
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:37 PM

The Alila Ubud has a cooking + market + village excursion that sounds like a lot of fun. A bit pricey, but comprehensive.
http://www.alilahotels.com/ubud/alila-experiences
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Amarena
Thanks for this info - in your write up you mention that as a group you took turns preparing the various sauces, meats etc - was each person given enough time preparing that they would be confident to make the dish on their own (I am not a very experienced cook but I do like doing cooking classes in foreign countries). Also, approx how long was the whole experience from going to the market to sitting down and eating the meal - just a guide line.
Many thanks
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marmot - had a look at Alila's cooking course and, as you say, it is pretty pricey but it does cover a lot including side excursions so will have to keep that in mind when making decisions
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM

I am also wanting to do a cooking class while on Bali Aug. 16-26 and it was suggested by Putu, who is to be our guide/driver that we join his family for a be Bali Day:

http://www.balifriend.com/be-bali-day/

This looks like it would take in a cooking class along with a cultural home visit. has anyone who has used Putu's services done this?
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Susiesan. Thanks for responding to my post - I've done some research on balifriend (Putu and Kadek) as well as on Be Bali Day - looks amazing! I'm hoping that someone is able to respond to your request as to whether they have actually done Be Bali Day but in the meantime I am going to email them and get more info.