Search

Siem Reap and Phuket - Questions and Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siem Reap and Phuket - Questions and Feedback

Hello everyone!

I haven't been to Asia since 2011, and have been going through a weird transition (thought I'd be traveling less and not traveling solo much anymore and getting married in 2017, but sadly that won't be happening). With limited vacation days available to me but needing to go somewhere and see something new and break from this depression (and escape the oppressive cold of an NYC winter), I booked flights to Cambodia and Thailand with miles for mid January (last day will be right before Chinese New Year). It's only 8 full days, 9 nights, but I am a person who can pack a lot into a short amount of time (see my Argentina/Chile trip report for more on my travel speed) and I wanted a split between culture and coast on this trip. Would love your feedback as I build my itinerary and book hotels.

I've always wanted to visit the Temples of Angkor, and from reading reports on here it sounds like the area is getting increasingly overwhelmed by tourists, so I figured now was the time since it will only get more and more overrun. And I'm not a traditional beach traveler, but I love gorgeous coastline and day trips by boat or kayak or snorkeling, and thought some down time would be good for me, so I zeroed in on Phuket since the karsts and surrounding islands seemed more appealing to me than the Cambodian beach areas, and because I can fly nonstop from Siem Reap to Phuket.

I have 4 full days (5 nights) planned for Siem Reap. I would definitely want to do at least two sunrise starts at Angkor Wat and Pre Rup (though certainly not on day 1!) I'm very interested in Bayon, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm, Bantay Srei and Beng Melea, and since Beng Melea requires a separate fee anyway, thought that could be something good to do on my first afternoon, so I can wake up a little later and account for a little jetlag and then head out to Beng Melea for the afternoon. Is that enough for a full afternoon? Or should I add in Koh Ker or Phnom Koulen to that afternoon as well?

Then Day 2, 3, 4 I would get the three day Angkor pass and see the various temples of the Angkor complex, with two sunrise visits, taking the customary breaks for lunch, and afternoon visits. Maybe leaving open one afternoon to do something else in town or Tonle Sap if I get "templed out". Does this sound like a good plan?

Hotels in Siem Reap: I'm a solo female traveler, and since I got the flights with miles, don't mind spending a bit more on a nicer hotel (and the prices I'm seeing are pretty cheap anyway). I'm looking at $75 - $125 per night, prefer more boutique properties and nothing too stuffy: I'm liking the Shinta Mani, Apsara Residence, and Heritage Suites Hotels at the moment and all are in my price range: any recommendations among these, or other recs for me?

Phuket is a little harder for me to figure out. I know what I want - good for day trips to karst scenery, some snorkeling, easy access to variety of restaurants - and I know what I don't want - no partying or heavy drinking or shows, not my scene. And because it's such a short amount of time and I have to fly home on a 3:30 AM flight from Phuket Airport, I crossed out staying in other areas like Khao Lak or Krabi. Because I need to stay somewhere with good access to day trips, should I consider Patong area? Or will day trip operators pick up from anywhere on the island. I'm thinking my first half day will be relaxing pool or beachside, one full day dedicated to Phang Nga Bay (which seems huge and maybe needs two days?). Then the other two full days, I'd probably do one day trip to the Similian Islands, and pick between either a day of Railay Beach and Krabi area OR Koh Phi Phi. Does this seem too ambitious?

Based on those wants and the fact that I'd plan to be exploring most days, I don't need to stay anywhere too resort oriented since I won't be availing myself of those things. But Phuket seems to be more like you get what you pay for, and the $30-$75 places are pretty charmless, and especially since the first afternoon I want to relax, I'm looking at $120 - $175 per night places. I'm looking at Amari (at upper end of price range), U Zenmaya in Kamala, Sugar Palm Grand Hillside in Kata, Baan Yin Dee, Burasari, Banthai Beach Resort, Mandarava in Karon, Eastin Yama in Karon. Any recs from among these, or other places I should be looking at?

Here's my skeleton itinerary:

Thursday - depart NYC for Cambodia (via Seoul)
Friday - land Siem Reap 10 PM, transfer to hotel
Saturday - morning hotel/town, afternoon to Beng Melea, night Siem Reap
Sunday - 3 Day Angkor Pass, night Siem Reap
Monday - 3 Day Angkor Pass, night Siem Reap
Tuesday - 3 Day Angkor Pass, night Siem Reap
Wednesday - fly Siem Reap to Phuket, depart 8:30 AM arrive Phuket 10:05 AM, transfer to hotel, night Phuket
Thursday - day trip to Phang Nga Bay, night Phuket
Friday - day trip to Similian Islands, night Phuket
Saturday - day trip to Koh Phi Phi OR to Krabi/Railay, night Phuket
Sunday - depart Phuket for NYC (3:30 AM flight via Shanghai), land NYC - I'll have a 12 hour layover in Shanghai, but figure I'll address that in a separate post once the bulk of the trip is figured out.

I also haven't yet booked the flight between Siem Reap and Phuket: part of me wants to put one extra day in Siem Reap, but then it feels like a waste to even go to Phuket and I really do want some great karst coastline. So do I leave as is with 5 nights in Siem Reap and 4 in Phuket, or swing an extra night to Siem Reap for 6 nights and do only two daytrips in Phuket for 3 nights? Knowing I'm not looking to lounge in Phuket, but actively explore the water and coastal scenery and snorkeling, how might you advise me to split the time?

Appreciate any comments or feedback on hotels or itinerary overall! Thank you!!
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 08:30 AM

Overall, I think you have a good plan. I'd encourage you to get out at sunrise everyday at Angkor, as it will help you avoid the crowds at most temples and will be less hot. Flying from Seattle I find I'm always wide awake early in the morning in Asia, and have no difficulty being somewhere for sunrise for the first week or so.

No way do you want or need to be in Patong. Yes, day trip operators will pick you up from anywhere on Phuket. And I'd nix the idea of Ko PhiPhi, as a day trip only exposes you to the most crowded and commercialized aspect of the island. Look at the various beaches on Phuket they all have different atmosphere. Often people choose the beach by choosing where they want to stay. Look at Kata beach and Kata Noi, for instance. www.travelfish.org has good info on the Phuket beaches.

Look carefully at any day trips as the quality varies a lot. The one day trip I can recommend highly is the John Grey Sea Canoes. You might want to book that one ahead.

I hope you have a wonderfully enjoyable and healing time on this trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie! That helps a lot, especially on the Phuket side where I feel like there's so much information on the internet to the point I was a bit overwhelmed. I can focus on areas outside of Patong and really look into what beach area feels right for me.

Thank you again!
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM

The closest beach resort to Phuket Airport is Nai Yang, which is 5 minutes away by road. So you can chill out without worrying about how you'll get back to the airport for a v.early flight.

Nai Yang is low key, has a lovely sandy beach, with enough places to eat for a few relaxing days and nights

You can arrange any trips/activities on arrival.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, LL. I'm going to look at a few areas and what hotels and costs are available, and hopefully get things sorted in the next week or so.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 10:22 PM

Have a look at the Indigo Pearl hotel in Nai Yang. Too expensive for us, but we spoke to a few people staying there who said it was v.good.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 12:12 AM

For Phuket you would be best to stay on the north west coast.

Nai Yang,
Nai Tho
Layan
Laguna
Bangtao
Surin ....Kata would mean up to a two hour journey back to the airport.

The last 4 places have a larger selection of restaurants and shops.

You can catch boats from Ao Po and Yacht Haven to see Phang Nga Bay...John Gray is very good. Tours will pick you up from the hotels but make sure they go from either of the two places above not Chalong!

You also have the new Phuket Elephant Sanctuary in the north.

Phi Phi very commercial
Krabi - can do in a day but better to stay overnight and it is more just a beach area...nothing in the town.

Be aware that it is taking at least 2 hours to go through immigration at Phuket unless you want to buy the fast track service through Coral Phuket.