Reload this Page >

Shots for Thailand....yuck!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Scott

Am headed to Thailand and recently was told I should get Hepatitis A and Tyhoid shots. I'm coming from US so Yellow Fever injection not required.<BR><BR>Anyone have advice on this? Thanks!!! Scott

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:25 AM
alan

Whenever we travel to south-east Asia, we always have every shot that the doctors recommend, even the ones that are advised but not compulsory. I have heard too many horror stories of long-term effects on people who decided to take their chances... a few hours of discomfort following the course of shots seems like the cheapest insurance in the world (not that I'm naive enough to believe that these shots give you 100% protection, as there is always the rare microbe that didn't read the rule book, as the doctors will admit; still, live to travel another day, I say.)

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Kathie

read all about it at www.cdc.gov<BR><BR>The immunizations recommended for Thailand are routine travelers' immunizations like Hep A and typhoid. You should be up to date on tetanus and polio as well.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
mom

My son did this trip 2 years ago and he got all the shots,also because he was going to Nepal too.<BR>It is a good idea to do it, he said afterwards that after getting sick from altitude sickness, then some bacterial thing from bottled Nepalese water,he was happy he didn't have to worry about malaria or Hepatitis.Do you mean malaria when you say Yellow Fever? I belive there are pills you take for that.<BR>Good luck and have a great trip~

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Kathie

By the way, Scott, if 98199 is your zip code, the UW Travel Medicine Clinic is one of the best in the country. They will go over your itinerary with you to determine exactly what you need.<BR><BR>(To Mom in NY, A Yellow Fever certificate (proof of immunization) is needed by anyone who has been to a Yellow Fever country in the previous year, so Scott was saying he didn't need one. Anti-malarials (yup, pills) are recommended for only very limited areas of Thailand, just the border areas with Burma and Cambodia)

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:38 PM
mom

Thank you, Kathy-now since my son is going back but has not been in a couple of years, And he is going from Japan, do you think he will have to get shots again?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:45 PM
mom

sorry-Kathie<BR>nothing like thanking someone and misspelling their name

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Kathie

to "Mom" do take a look at the www.cdc.gov website. <BR><BR>Your son should make sure he's up to date on any boosters for Tetnaus (which is combined with diptheria), Hepatitis A, Typhoid. Tetnaus only needs a booster every 10 years, but Typhoid only lasts a few years. When I went to Nepal, they were having an outbreak of mengicoccal meningitis, so I had a shot for that as well. I'm not sure what the status is now, which is why it's always a good idea to check the cdc website.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:44 PM
mom

Kathie,<BR> Thank you, I have sent him the cdc link, and mentioned that he should be sure his shots are all up to date.Thank you for being so helpful.