Short summary of trip to Bali

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short summary of trip to Bali

My wife and I came back from an 8 day trip to Bali / Lombok. Used this forum a fair bit to plan my trip, so wanted to post a quick summary of things that may be of interest/use to other forum members.

Stayed for 3 nights at the Oberoi in Lombok, 3 nights at the Four Seasons in Ubud and 2 nights at the Oberoi in Seminyak.

Did a snorkeling trip in Lombok (thru the Oberoi) at the Gili islands. Very friendly, and helpful staff(I’m not a great swimmer so this was specially comforting).

In Ubud, really liked restaurants Batan Waru, Pundi Grill and Warung Made. Andy’s Warung was decent.

Went on a morning hike of the rice fields organized by Four Seasons, was surprisingly good. Attended a Kecak dance by Taman Kaja, which was very good.

Rented a car and driver (I Nyoman Gara) for one and half days while in Ubud, covered Tanah Lot, Mr. Batur and Pura Beisekhi. Wld very highly recommend Nyoman, very friendly, professional and knowledgeable of local sights, restaurants (took us to a restaurant next to Tanah Lot, with gorgeous sunset views and great sea food; also to a Indonesian buffet restuarnt on Mt Batur, good food; unfortunately cant remember name of either restaurant now) and took really good care of us. Attached is contact info for Nyoman.

I Nyoman Gara
Mobile: 081 2360 0702
[email protected]

In Seminyak, had dinner at Made’s Warung II and at Sate Bali, both great restaurants. Before dinner at Sate Bali, had drinks at La Lucciola (down the street from Sate Bali), great sunset views.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM

sounds like a nice trip
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM

Sounds lovely!

Can you tell us what you thought of the Oberoi in Lombok?
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM

Lovely trip it seems.I am also curious about how you rate the hotels in terms of , well , everything . I have stayed at them in the past and am curious about how they are holding up in the face of all these new luxe properties .
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the report. Did you like staying outside Ubud at the Four Seasons?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

In terms of the hotels, liked the Oberoi at Lombok the most, followed by Four Seasons and then the Oberoi in Seminyak.

The Oberoi in Lombok is kind of secluded, but easily spent three days without getting bored. Had orignially booked to stay at the Pita Maha in Ubud, but didnt like the hotel, so switched to the Four Seasons. Was outside the town center which was not a problem at all, as getting into the town was a quick 10min cab ride and generally didnt have to wait for long to get a cab either.