Shopping in Bangkok

Nov 16th, 2005, 04:44 PM
redtop

Shopping in Bangkok

While in Bangkok, we're going to pratunam to do some shopping. After being outside in the heat, I thought we might want to escape to a nearby air conditioned mall. Can anyone tell me what is the closest mall to that area, and what transportation would we use to get there? Is pratunam worth going to or would Suan Lum Night baazar be a better choice. We loved shopping(bartering) on our last trip

Nov 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

pratnum is interesting and some areas have limited a/c...sizes will be way too small for most westerners, but there are accessories and kids stuff there....we bought beaded bags for as cheap as $3....shoes for 199 B....its worth about an hour or so if you move fast...the amari watergate hotel is almost next door...we went there and had cold water...and got a taxi to gaysorn plaza which is a 10 minute ride...there are other mini malls around in that same area...patnip, the electronics mall is very close...the former world trade center is across form gaysorn and central chitlom is not far....its a great area...there is tons of traffic and lots of people so walking around is somewhat difficult...
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM

There is an air-con mall right in the Pratunam area. It's called Pratunam Center.

You are also pretty close to the Central World Plaza, a very nice mall, bigger than Pratunam Center. But if bartering is your thing, you can't do much of that at CWP, but you surely can at PC!!

I would make an effort to get to Suan
Lum night bazaar and also MBK mall. I think you would enjoy both of these.
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:57 PM

A multi-story indoor air-conditioned mall is adjacent to the Indra Regent Hotel. If you're wandering through the Pratunam markets, you may end up there without really trying. It's filled with more of the same interesting merchandise but so much cooler. There is also a large food court inside. The Pratunam Center is much newer, and last April anyway, was still quite empty. We had a nice lunch there one afternoon - chicken and rice - way more than we could eat -for only 35 baht!
Nov 17th, 2005, 03:19 AM

I don't know where rhkkmk gets his ideas from re the size of "most westerners".

I'll tell you what really frustrates me about shopping in the markets in Bangkok - the idea that one size fits all. It doesn't. And if it's not OSFA then it's Large or Medium - don't even think about Small.

But then I guess it's the same in the "West". what used to be a size 12 is now a size 8 - makes the large ones feel good I suppose. And what used to be a size 8 is now a size 2 and becoming as rare as hen's teeth.
Nov 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM

fuzzy
I think Bob's point was that most westerners do not fit into typical Thai clothing, because the Thais are very small people, usually. I know that I cannot buy very many things in the way of clothing because I am a tall woman and a size 12. Sleeves are way too short, as are pant lengths. Most westerners do not have the small bones and very little body fat that is typical of the Thais. Bob is also tall, and not of small stature. It is nearly impossible to walk into a Thai market and buy something to wear.

I bought a really cute t-shirt at Jim Thompson, but even size XL is snug on me. I usually wear it layered under a looser fitting shirt so that the snug fit isn't too obvious. It is such a cute shirt!!

When I recently fell on wet slick pavement in front of the Shangri-La, I went to the nearby Robinsons Dept Store to buy something to put on, since I was a bit muddy and disheveled looking!!!! I could not find anything that would come close to fitting me!!! And that was at a large Thai Department Store!!

The point is, for MOST westerners, you should probably not go to BKK expecting to buy yourself clothes as you travel!! Now, if you want to have garments tailored, that's easy!!

Carol

(Bob, I hope I defended you OK)

Nov 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM

as usual you did a good job, carol...its simply a fact....looks like fuzzy is trully fuzzy about sizes in thailand...as you say, compare a hanes t shirt size large with a size large t shirt in thailand, you will see quite easily and that has no long sleeves or trouser lengths.....i was actually referring to women's clothing rather than mens....another easy comparison is neckties, can you believe it....thai ties are way shorter than western ties...
Nov 18th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Simpsonc510.

I stand by my earlier post. Yes, most Thais are small people - and so am I.

My point was that Thais are misteken in thinking that all westerners come in the same "large" size.

You may be - although I guess you would not see an (American) size 12 as large.

I find it as frustrating to shop in Thailand as I do at home.

It seems large people are taking over wherever you look.
Nov 18th, 2005, 06:49 AM

fuzzy

"It seems large people are taking over..." What sort of comment is that! People cannot help their own genetics!! People, in general, are becoming larger. Just take a look at some of the furniture sizes from a century or two ago. I could not have slept in those SHORT beds!! It is not uncommon to see 7' tall b'ball players today. They were very rare a few decades ago. When I was in high school, we were happy with a 6'3" center on our team!! That would be short compared to today's teams.

I'll grant you that McDonalds has changed the way many westerner's eat; thus the current problem with obesity. I would hate to see the Thais turning into a fast food culture the way "we" have.

I'm still jealous of petites who can shop in BKK for the really cute items I see in lingerie shops. I have a friend who always stocks up when in BKK. She is a petite size 4-6. I guess I don't see why it is a problem for you, if you are also petite.

Carol
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM

I am pretty big, 6'1" 240 and had no trouble buying clothes at the MBK shopping center in Siam Square if that helps.
Cheers,
Andy
Nov 18th, 2005, 06:08 PM

MBK is huge and fun. Take the Sky train to the National Stadium.
Nov 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM

andy---did you buy pants and undies...shirts yes, especially knit ones....regular shirts?? i have not seen any and i shop all over bkk...

sleeves long enough?? pants long enough...?? waist big enough??
Nov 18th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Redtop, back to your qn. I would definitely reco the Suan Lum Night Bazaar over Pratunam. Wares at the Night Bazaar have a bit of a luck of the draw element coz the stalls keep changing but the place has interesting ambience and I enjoyed shopping there. You will definitely get an experience to barter there! My fav Bkk dept store is Central CHitlom, at Chitlom BTS stop. Not far from the Night Bazaar. 50 baht by taxi max.
Nov 19th, 2005, 08:33 AM

The night bazaar is fantastic. The shopping is great but the food court is even more fun.

Check my review on my website in the thailand section.

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/thailand/
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:12 AM

Hi,
I purchased several polo shirte there. My wife, who is a size 14, purchased some pants there. Also saw some nice stuff in mt size at Jim Thompson House but much more expensive.
Best.
Andy
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:04 AM

I really want to reply to you, Carol, and as there is no PM option - here goes. You said of your friend:

"She is a petite size 4-6. I guess I don't see why it is a problem for you, if you are also petite".

If I was a size 4-6 (American) I guess I could find lots of stuff in the department stores - though last time I looked it was the same brands, pretty much, as at home, and not a lot cheaper.

But I am a size 0. Soon perhaps to become a -2!!!!!!!!!! Not because I am getting smaller - but because manufacturers keep tampering with the sizes.

The clothes on offer in the markets obviously are aimed at MOST westerners.
If they were aimed at most THAIS then maybe I would have more luck.

It's just the "one size fits all" that drives me mad.

Happy shopping, and above all, happy travels.

Regards,

Fuzzy.
Nov 21st, 2005, 05:08 AM

fuzzy
OK, I will agree to the sizes in the markets being aimed at one size fits all.

Have you ever tried shopping at places like Greyhound or Keven? Those are very nice Thai brands that you won't find anywhere else.

Carol
Nov 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM

You must go to the Pearl Market, just unbelievable!