View Poll Results: Which shoes to bring?
Croc Sneakers
50.00%
Sketchers
0%
Merrell Hiking Shoes
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Shoes in Thailand?

Apr 8th, 2019, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Shoes in Thailand?

Hi Everyone! We're just a few weeks out from our honeymoon (3 nights in Singapore, 3 nights in CM, 2 nights in CR, 2 nights in Bangkok, 4 nights in Koh Yao Noi, 5 nights in Railay), and we're finalizing our packing lists and getting ready! We've been doing a lot of research into the right clothing so we're both respectful but comfortable. Thank goodness for companies like Athleta ad Eddie Bauer that make sweat wicking clothes!!

We're packing light and not checking bags, so we're trying to be efficient with what we're bringing. We're traveling at the beginning of the rainy season and will be doing a lot of walking as we sightsee and some light hiking in Doi Inthanon, etc. My feet are very sensitive, so I've done a ton of research into which shoes would be best. We know that waterproof shoes will be too hot, and we will need something we can clean pretty easily. I'm currently between the following pairs of shoes:

croc sneakers:
https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Citilane-Sneaker-Comfortable-Athletic/dp/B01HQAL0UU/ref=pd_sbs_309_15?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HQAL0UU&pd_rd_r=8aa0b211-5a19-11e9-9502-091092cc734e&pd_rd_w=EwOTP&pd_rd_wg=u3imO&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=A6989ACYGERZKVKCBRQ6&refRID=A6989ACYGERZKVKCBRQ6 https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Citilane-Sneaker-Comfortable-Athletic/dp/B01HQAL0UU/ref=pd_sbs_309_15?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HQAL0UU&pd_rd_r=8aa0b211-5a19-11e9-9502-091092cc734e&pd_rd_w=EwOTP&pd_rd_wg=u3imO&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=A6989ACYGERZKVKCBRQ6&refRID=A6989ACYGERZKVKCBRQ6

lightweight sketchers with more support:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKPMF7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKPMF7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or lightweight hiking shoes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716Z8SXS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3C7IR9GZ96ZRH&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716Z8SXS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3C7IR9GZ96ZRH&psc=1

I also plan to bring these lightweight sandals:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQYO3JG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQYO3JG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...along with flip flops and a dress sandal (wedge).

I'm leaning towards the sketchers due to the support & because they're a bit more lightweight & stylish than the hiking shoes. My one reservation is that so many blogs recommend rubbery shoes bc of puddles & rain, but I fear getting blisters with all the walking we'll be doing. If we were checking bags, I'd just bring both!

Thanks - I know this may seem silly, but I think it's important to be as prepared as we can be, given the amount of stuff we'll be bringing.

Last edited by lgk627; Apr 8th, 2019 at 08:26 AM.
Apr 8th, 2019, 08:52 AM

I can only give my own preference, trekking aside, a GOOD pair of flip flops are my footwear of choice all over SE Asia. Mine are Chacos, with arch support, not your average cheap variety. Otherwise, take what are most comfortable & well broken in.
Apr 8th, 2019, 09:28 AM

From your list of choices, it would be the Merrel ones. While in Thailand, my main shoes are enclosed, lace-up sneaker-style shoes as I've been packing my FinnComfort Soho sneakers for over a decade. When it rains in Thailand, it really rains and gets nasty and dirty and I don't want to be in shoes that have perforated designs and I also don't want to be in shoes without really solid support. But, to each his own.

Happy Travels!
Apr 8th, 2019, 09:32 AM

I am male, so not sure how relevant my opinion might be. However my wife and I travel a lot in Asia and are both fans of Keens. the footbeds are really comfortable and great for hiking but they have many different styles see - https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-gb/w...0&sz=36#tile-3

Crocs are good too. Very comfortable and OK for general use but I wouldn’t want to hike in them.

Congrats BTW!
Apr 8th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Like Mme Perdu, the footwear I use most frequently in SE Asia are a good pair of flip-flops with arch support. I wear the Olu Kai Ohana, and have used these for almost everything. You will want something you can slip in and out of easily as you will be visiting Buddhist temples where you cannot wear shoes (or socks). The only times I have needed something more heavy-duty was at the Angkor Temples, where I wore Merrell Jungle Mocs, and the wilds of Borneo where I wore a light hiking shoe.

You will need more than just flip flops for dinners in cities like Singapore and Bangkok. I recently used Sketchers with a mesh upper for our month on Kauai when I wasn't wearing they Olu Kai.
Jun 5th, 2019, 11:37 PM

Recently i like my nike aj 10 shoes and dream pairs 170426_M Walking Shoes Sneakers ,both can easily get online,lol.
Jun 8th, 2019, 05:15 AM

I am impressed with so many posters with specific brand names for shoes. I guess if someone asked me to come up with a brand it would probably be something from Walmart, old K-mart or maybe even Sears on sale or with a discount coupon. (Sears - Kmart can you can still find one?)

I do remember one pair of Dr. Scholl's canvas shoes around 22 plus years ago. In Indonesia on a boat stopping at various islands, I had to wade through some water that had sharp coral or stones maybe some broken glass too. So I figured to wear those Doc Scholl's shoes and dry them off later on when back on the boat. (Just like I did with the cheap [Keds?] sneakers I had when I was a kid.) They fell apart within hours! Good thing I had a back up pair of shoes!

With big feet I always have a spare pair of shoes for back up. When I am in Asia it is not easy to get cheap large size shoes (size 12 or 13) without paying a premium price. The cheap back up shoes I travel with are something from a discount store, sometimes even a Bob's store in the US because they always have discounts and mail $10 off coupons on your birthday.

Right now I have one pair of durable Dunlap work shoe - walkers made of a combination of leather and synthetic fabric. (Had to look at the label to remember the name.) These work and walkers have steel toes and rugged soles. I wear these overseas. Flying overseas I have a cheap pair of comfortable canvas shoes for flying and when overseas kept as a back up. I don't need fancy dress shoes and suits with me on vacations because I don't visit fancy dress up places.

I always have a pair of flip flops (shower shoes) for walking around a hotel rooms and taking showers.

Okeydokey.
Jun 8th, 2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SirHalberd View Post
I am impressed with so many posters with specific brand names for shoes.
I can remember the brand names of shoes because I have hard feet to fit & about 4 brands that reliably do, so don't even bother trying any others now. They aren't cheap but I pay dearly in pain if I don't get it right. And, like you SirH, have no hope of finding anything when I travel in Asia. Though I suspect much of what I buy comes from there, just not available at the source, understandably. Keen, Chaco, Clarks in the UK, all in men's sizes for the width. And Birkenstock. Life is too short for avoidable pain.

Jun 12th, 2019, 09:30 AM

I like the shoes that are sold in Thailand. This year I didn’t fly to Thailand, but my friends brought excellent sneakers. But it comes across and not very good shoes. You need to choose high-quality shoes.
Jun 12th, 2019, 11:30 PM

When I'm traveling where I know that I'll be hiking or at least walking a lot, I always take my teva sandals with me, they're super comfortable and not bad looking.
Jun 15th, 2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by stonestephany View Post
I like the shoes that are sold in Thailand. This year I didn’t fly to Thailand, but my friends brought excellent sneakers. But it comes across and not very good shoes. You need to choose high-quality shoes.
For some people shoes in Thailand can be okay for the price if they have your size. But with big feet US size 12 and above good luck finding something cheap in that size. If male with tiny Thai feet lots of cheap choices available.

I do not wear sandals or some kind of "flip-flop" shoe hiking or even on the streets in Asia. I just don't care for dog poop or sticky garbage on my feet. I don't like it when I stub my toe or cut it some how. (Infection!!) I don't want mosquito or other insect bites on my feet too. But this is what I prefer.

Last edited by SirHalberd; Jun 15th, 2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo.