Reload this Page >

Shangri-la Bangkok

Search

Shangri-la Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Jeremy

Shangri-la Bangkok

Has anyone stayed at this hotel lately? Is it still considered very nice?

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 08:19 PM
pat

I never stay there, just to let you know that it is so convenient for the transport to the hotel, well served by the BTS train system, and Express boat service. It seems to be a nice hotel in my eyes (just for conference).

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:54 AM
Jim J

I was in Bangkok last month and stayed next door at the Oriental but visited the Shangri-La on several occassions. It is very nice, great restaurants and very convenient to all public transportation. However, be careful when you book a room...the hotel has two buildings, one of which overlooks the main highway and SKYTRAIN. You want the main building...the one closest to the Oriental Hotel.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 03:17 PM
MikeT

The Shangri-La is nice but a bit dated in decor. Try the Peninsula across the river. Location is actually a plus, away from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. Convenient with free river shuttles that operate every 5 minutes. And, it's reasonable...huge modern rooms with every amenity and view of $125 (or less).

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 03:57 PM
scm

Definitely try the Peninsula. At $140 a night for a deluxe suite you're right across the river from the Shangri-La with private boat service across, in an amazing suite with views of the river and incredible service. My husband and I travelled around Asia for three weeks last summer for our honeymoon and the Peninsula was definitely a highlight. --scm

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 09:46 PM
Ben

Hello Jeremy: <BR> <BR>I stayed with my wife at the Shangri-La in late-October, 2000. Our room was painted in a pastel green color, and had a spectacular, unobstructed view of the Chao-Phraya River. In the far distance, you can see the Grand Palace. We received fresh flowers in our room and superior service from the hotel staff. <BR> <BR>Although it's a very nice room, it appeared to be a bit run down, and in need of a "face lift" (i.e., the room needs new furniture, new comforter and a fresh paint job). Also, at night, the windows fogged up and we could not enjoy the view of Bangkok. <BR> <BR>If you wish to stay in a Shangri-La style hotel, I highly recommend the Oriental. It's the best hotel we've ever stayed, and one of the most memorable experiences in our lives. You will feel the same too! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>